Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nice to be among those who understand!

Bjasper32BBjasper32 Posts: 3
edited 12/29/2014 - 10:01 PM in New Member Introductions
I am a 26 y/o female who has been struggling with lower back pain since I fell down the stairs when I was in college in 2008. I have down just about everything I know of- 2 MRI's which diagnosed a herniated disc at l4/l5. I have tried steroid pills, steroid injections, chiropractic therapy, physical therapy, yoga, heat, ice, anything you can think of except surgery. My pain is different from others with my injury though... I get flare ups that last for about a week or so and then go away. And I'm fine for a while- maybe 3 or 4 weeks until the next episode. When I am having a flare up I have intense aching in my lower back, pain in my left leg, and nerve "shocks" when moving the wrong way. These nerve "shocks" are enough to take the air out of me and I just collapse. I usually take muscle relaxers and OTC pain killers. I have never been prescribed narcotics. My husband and I recently visited an orthopedic surgeon who looked at a new MRI and said he would recommend surgery. Surgery scares the pants right off of me. My husband thinks it will be an end all and I will be perfectly normal once healed. I am more skeptical and afraid that surgery will not work or only make it worse. Reading others experiences scare me too... I am so afraid of the pain. But we want to start a family and I think pregnancy might just be enough to kill me. Anyone else have the same come and go pain that I have?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I've had a "bad back" off and on for years. Since I was in my teens. I put those words in quotes because it means different things to different people. I would have muscle tenderness/leg tingling/pain all rolled into one. A flare up could last up to 2 weeks but be months or even years in between. Most flare ups if I'm honest come from me doing too much lifting bending or twisting (heh... They call it BLT like my favorite sandwich)
    Educate yourself. Knowing what the spine does, what it can do and what happens if it goes wrong is gold.
    Pregnancy, my doctor told me, has an effect on joints and bones that worked in my favour. I didn't have a single flare up and I wasn't exactly dainty if you catch my drift.
    See with your doc about your circumstances and carrying child. Ask if you need to about the surgery. While no surgery should be entered into lightly, it sounds like you're in life quality pain. Maybe a second opinion would help ease the decision so you can get back to some normalcy.
    I'm sorry you're going through this.
  • Thanks for the response. I have found that back pain is definitely different for everyone. My primary complaint is severe low back pain and nerve pain in my back. I sometimes have sciatica but it is usually mild. My doctor recommended a microdiscectomy but through research I have found that that particular surgery is more so for leg pain rather than low back pain? I just want to live my life without constantly worrying about my next flare up. Anyone have experience with this? I want to make sure we are treating the right thing here.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    You are right, you will find so many people who do understand what you are going through. When you have been here a while, you will see that there is a mix of responses...
    You can get those soft puppy love messages that are aimed at making you feel better. Those are good, we all need that from time to time. Then you will get some tough love responses, where the member just comes right out and tells you to stop looking for pity, but instead do this and that to move ahead. And believe me, at times we all need that kick.

But overall, you will find understanding. That is because people here have walked your walk so they know what you are feeling and how your physical and emotional feelings can bounce all over the place.

I am hoping you have a rewarding time here at Spine-Health. Me, I tend to go more on the tough love approach, but I also know when its time to be soft ( not sure if others here will agree with that )

One last thing, I love reading into member names: bjasper32.. Barbara Jasper 32 years old (Am I close?)
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Haha! No, my name is Brittney and I'm 26. Good guess though.