Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I cant stop crying today

Hi everyone I'm four weeks post surgery for l5 s1 fusion with instrumentation and I can't stop crying today. I think the meds are on their way out and I'm finally feeling the frustration shock and fears about what I've been through. Anyone else get this? I'm running out of tissue! Heal well and fast everyone. This is so damn hard.

• I didn't have a fusion, just a l5 s1 microdiscectomy, but I know what you mean to an extent. It's tough thinking about all you went through and all the recovery you will have to go through. BUT, think of all the pain you were in before, and have faith in your doctors. Do what they tell you (as difficult as it may be sometimes) and you'll get better, slowly but surely.

Back surgery is no joke, and it is hard, no one said it would be easy. But it'll pay off in the long run.

Also, I think some of those meds can make you feel SO good that coming off them is a bit of a shock at first and you don't see things in such a positive way as you did when you were on them. Don't worry though, I think you'll start to feel better very soon
  • Take a deep breath..... it does go away. I had a almost 2 week about of crying jags at the most inappropriate times. I thought I was going crazy, but as fast as it happened, it went away, long two weeks though, called my pcp, surgeon a psychiatrist.. I thought some of it was due to the fact that I was taken off of my medication for menopause but it is a somewhat common occurrance as the anethesia and all of the meds you were taking begins to leaves your system. I had a l4//5 spinal fusion and laminenctomy on 11/5/14. The recovery has been a challenge but I found breaking it out into small parts and keeping a journal so you can look back and see your progress. Listen to your docs, be kind to yourself and keep walking...

L4/5 S1 Decompression PSF with TLIF 11/5/14
    Spondylolithesis (congenital)
  • Spiny_MaloneSSpiny_Malone Posts: 225
    edited 12/30/2014 - 7:36 PM
    It was long ago now for me. The crying jags will subside. One day you'll forget.
  • I remember feeling this way a year ago after my second microdiscectomy. Last night I bawled my eyes out during an MRI procedure I had to assess whether or not I reherniated. I'm so stressed and scared that I'm facing surgery #3 in the very near future. Pain meds and coming off of all the drugs they give you in surgery definitely made me labile.
    Microdiscectomy L5/S1 2010
    Revision microdiscectomy after reherniation L5/S1 2014
  • thanks for all your comments. They really mean a lot to me . Feeling a little better today. The weather is horrible and i need to walk. Still having sleep problems, leg jerking when falling asleep and the chills. I feel it must be withdrawal.
  • I made the kind with wheat kernels and I microwave it for 5 minutes and it's heaven. Get one for back and one for leg. Delightful!
  • I had that happen to me too but it seemed to stop after a few weeks out.
    C5/6 herniation, type 2 diabetes, generalized anxiety disorder
  • Hi, pretty much the same for me. I am 6 wks out from l5-s1 fusion and hardware repair on l4-5. This is I believe my 23rd surgery in all (not all back related) but for some reason this one has me so depressed I am having trouble getting out of bed each day, then once I do, I sit and worry about financial issues, work, home, so I eat, endlessly, prob gained a good 10 lbs and believe me I do not need to do that, They did lower my meds so not sure if its part of that but I certainly relate. Also I have no support system, so it really helps to come on here and see that I am on alone. Take care all!!!
  • Hi guys! I'm only one week out from my c5,c6 acdf ,,,,done on 1.21.15 and I am so glad I found this's forum.
    I can't stop crying today. It feels like it has. Otha g to do with the surgery, but I started searches Google to see if crying and surfery could be related and low and behold it see,s to be.
    I've been crying so much today I've gotten my dressing soaking wet.
    I say it see,s unrelated to the surgery,, it started this morning while watching a public service video I found on facebook.
    Then, I talked to my daughter, I knew she was coming to visit me next week, but didn't reslize she was bringing her husband and when I found that out, I just kept bawling.
    Then later this evening, I got a message from my brother on Facebook telling me to quit being a whiny baby about how bad I hurt,, he was mocking me,,, my shoulder hurts, my arm hurts, the doctor cut my neck open, I can't talk, I can't swallow..l told me he was sick of my whining snd to go mix some rum with my pain meds,l
    I've been crying none stop avout that for the better part of an hour now.

I have so many questions avout this precedire and recovery and I'm so glad I found this forum.
    I know I read that I was suppose to go to a thread to introduce myself first,, I hope I don't get in trouble because I piated here first, I'll go next and try to find the thread to introduce myself,

I'm just glad to see that my uncontrollable crying might be avout rhe surgery and that I'm not going crazy.
    Because Im not a cryer and certainly not for hours on end,
  • Finally! Not crying anymore and am feeling like my old self again. I'm 8 weeks out and I can't believe how much the PT has helped with everything. They push me pretty hard but its really working. I also started walking in a warm pool and love it. I go back to work in a week and my biggest fear is that all the stress and sitting are going to ruin all the progress that's been made. Not sure I'll have the energy and discipline to keep up with the exercises. Healing has pretty much been a full time job!