Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lyrica and nerve damage please help

krisrath11kkrisrath11 Posts: 5
edited 12/31/2014 - 7:20 PM in Chronic Pain
I have had problems with what feels like my hip, but my Dr now says is from my nerves in my back for 8 years after a car wreck. I have seen Dr upon Dr, usually in emergency rooms because I am stubborn and wait until the pain is unbearable. It has gotten worse over time, and I went to the Dr (a new one) again recently. She thinks I have nerve damage in my back causing my pain and referred me to a pain clinic. I got a shot which caused more and more serious pain. I went back again and he suggested another shot in my spine. I apparently looked scared to death(because I was) so he suggested I take lyrica 3 times a day. He gave me 42 of them, and never said to make an appointment and gave me no prescription. I'm not sure whether I am supposed to call my regular Dr and keep taking it, or if he is just done with me because I didn't want the shot. I am worried because I have seen that you need to be taken off slowly, and also because I still don't know what exactly is wrong with me. I am only 29, so I have been dealing with drs acting like i just want meds. Honestly I wanna be able to do normal things all the time and not worry about what happens when I am done. I'm actually scared when I go to the Dr because I an always afraid of surgery and having to rely on pills for a normal pain free life. I am sick of dealing with this, and it is embarrassing sometimes because I'll fall if I step wrong sometimes from the pain, and have to use a cane on some days, and even a walker(as embarrassing as it was, it was much easier than the cane). Experiences with lyrica, other ways people have found to help this pain besides meds, any kind of help at all...

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Jillybean079Jillybean079 Posts: 266
    edited 01/01/2015 - 6:33 AM
    My best advice is be your own advocate. Get a copy of your medical records, and get an updated MRI. This way you have options in your medical treatment. If you don't feel your doctors are taking you seriously, this way you will be one step ahead in being knowledgeable about your diagnosis. I'm sorry you're in pain. Doctors will use conservative methods in treating pain first. I know the epidural injections (the shots in your back) are uncomfortable. They haven't worked for me either, but I'm still doing them. I will do anything to help my treatment, and I know the shots are supposed to work better the more times you get them.
    Spine-Health Moderator 
    Ankylosing Spondylitis
    Bulging discs T12-L3
    Annular Tears with Disc Extrusion L4-S1
    Moderate Central Canal Stenosis
    Moderate Foraminal Stenosis
    Enlarged Facet Joints/Ligaments
    Spinal enthesopathy
    L4-L/5 PLIF with cages, rods, screws 2/15 

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    scared to deal with a doctor that is going to give you that number of pills without any prescription!
    I have heard of samples, perhaps 10, but no where the number you are talking about.

If it is just nerve pain, then nerve medications like Lyrica are you best route. They are designed to deal specifically with nerve pain.

But I do need to ask:

Welcome to Spine-Health

It would be very helpful if you could provide us with more details. Here are some questions that you
    should answer:

• - When did this first start?
      - Was it the result of an accident or trauma?
      - What doctors have you seen?
      - What Conservative treatments have you had? Which ones?
      - What diagnostic tests have you had? And their results
      - What medications are you currently using?
      - Has surgery been discussed as an option?
      - What is your doctor’s action plan for treating you?

Providing answers to questions like this will give the member community here a better understanding
    of your situation and make it easier to respond.

Please take a look at our forum rules: Forum Rules

Also please remember, there is no one on this forum site that is a medical professional. Therefore, no one can provide you with a diagnosis of your problem. You need to discuss that with your doctor.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Owie_999OOwie_999 Posts: 176
    edited 01/02/2015 - 11:00 AM
    My GP gave me a sample box containing 60, 150mg Lyrica, with hand written dosage instructions.. Having said that though I had been on Lyrica prior prior to surgery number 1 & he wants to see me to see how things are going within the month. I'm finding that taking 150mg am & pm is helping with nerve pain but I'm suffering from memory fuzziness & am writing lists so I don't forget day yo day things I need to do. I'm thinking of chatting to my GP & maybe reducing my am dose.

Krisrath1, I think you need to get your pain investigated properly so you know exactly what you're dealing with. Speak up for yourself as jillybean079 has said.

Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • Nerve pain which I have and it really hurts. Or the potential side effects of the Lyrica. It's up to me if I try it or not.
    I'm 6 months in. I won't say it was good. I learned a lot. I see with different eyes.
    Healing thoughts to all Spineys.. (Malone included)
  • Thanks to all that have replied. I had an MRI the day they gave me the injection (about 3 weeks ago). I decided to take the lyrica for a week (it is making me very tired, and I feel like everything is in slow motion). I took my tramadol and the lyrica before work the other day, and I was completely lost, it was horrible! By the time I got off work I was driving in a daze. I don't know if the lyrica is supposed to help this soon, but I showered and laid down on my heat blanket for about an hr, and when I went to stand up, the pain was terrible! I caught myself and made it somehow around the house and got back to bed. I try really hard not to take the tramadol because I dont really like the way they wire me up. I know the cold is where the pain comes from as it was 17degrees out and I was in it all day, but the daze makes me lost to it it seems until it wears off, and then I really think I overdid it. I am having a really hard time with this. I love the time when I pretty much just forget about my pain, but I know it'll be back when the meds wear off. The lost and confused feeling could b very dangerous as I am a roofer and will be back on the roof next week, will it go away over time? If so, how long? Pain is better than death, and I can compromise my safety or that if those around me.
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    I take 75mg of Lyrica twice a day and it definitely left me in a deep haze for the first month. And I HATE that sleepy, drowsy feeling but it did wear down and I find that the medication does maintain a certain level of quiet with my nerve pain. Initially I was on Lyrica with tramadol but I have since moved up to MS Contin and oxycodone as needed.

Before agreeing to this med regime I needed a lot of assurance that I would not be a zombie. The doctors carefully explained to me that I'd remain a zombie if I didn't fill my time with activities and things which needed to be done. And once I'm finished with my chores of the day I'm out! I sleep like the dead but I do have the energy and freedom from pain to accomplish much more than before I was on medications for the pain. but on these cold, wet days naps are wonderful!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • Owie_999OOwie_999 Posts: 176
    edited 01/03/2015 - 11:30 AM
    I find too that if I'm not busy I could easily have an afternoon nap. I haven't had a full nights sleep since I was in hospital in Jan. The Lyrica is defiantly helping me there & the other side effects are calming down now I've been taking it for about 3 weeks. Like all medication it's weighing up if the side effects are worth it or not & at this point they are for me. It did take a good 2 weeks for me to feel like it had kicked in. I'm sure my surgeon is going to want me to wean off it when I see him in Feb (I was given them by my local dr) We'll see as I return to work in Feb & as I really want to work I'd rather do it without nerve pain bothering me. :)

Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014