Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg spasming and lower back pain

dsc389ddsc389 Posts: 1
edited 01/03/2015 - 8:01 PM in Spinal Injections
Hey there, the name's Dyrell, I'm 21 as of a few days ago, and this is my first time seeking advice online for this so I'm hoping I'm barking up the right tree.

About 3 years ago I injured myself snowboarding and repeated the injury a few months later in the same area with work. Ever since it's been a downward spiral of pills, physio, osteopathy, chiropractors, doctors, surgeons and pain clinics. I was finally diagnosed with a protruding disk between my L5 and L6 (apparently I have one) vertebrae, but not before the pain had spread and started to cause my upper back to click and pop from muscle tension. I've reacted poorly to almost every drug I've been put on including, but not limited to, T3's, T4's, Ketorelac, Gabapentin and other various anti inflammation and relaxant creams and pills. My chiropractor accomplished nothing more than to increase my pain, and I'm fairly sure she actually caused more problems to sprout up as a result of her manipulation work. My physiotherapists are at a loss and i've been reduced to a few simple and ineffective stretches to try and relieve my pain symptoms, which are consistent and continuously getting worse.

I was eventually referred to a spinal clinic, and they accepted me as a candidate for a sympathetic nerve block. The first one caused my limp (which had started to develop around April of last year) to become much worse and I started having to use a cane. After that they sent me off to Vancouver to speak with an orthopaedic surgeon who rejected me for surgery. I returned home pretty pissed I won't lie, and revisited the spine clinic. They set up my second shot and I was hesitant to have it done. Following the second shot I am now in just as much pain as I was before the shot, but with an added kick in the teeth. Now my leg won't stop shaking. It's a continuous twitching when I'm sitting or at rest. It's especially bad when i'm sitting for over 30 minutes. I have troubles even making it up the stairs sometimes because my leg muscles have been getting weaker and weaker ever since they started spasming. If I try to stop the twitching it spreads to either my foot, or my calf, or sometimes up into my lower back right around where they injected me with my nerve block. When it does it can put me in a state of literal uselessness and I can barely leave my bed. It doesn't bother me when I'm walking, or using the muscles, but the second they reach rest again it starts up. It's been 2 months since the needle, and over 5 weeks since the spasms started, and I haven't been told a single thing I can do except to suffer through it until/if it stops. I've had to give up all my sports, my job and now even my schooling to my back now, and i'm starting to reach the end of my mental rope. I miss being able to take a walk without coming home and popping pills to cope with it.

Has anyone else suffered through this side effect? If so, were you given an explanation? Or at least some way to cope with it? I'm open to any and all advice.

• When you say spine clinic are you refereing to neurologist or are the doctors there orthopedic? The reason I ask is over the years until last year i had seen several orthopedic doctors due to degenerative Disc Disease, ruptured L4 & L5 and then later neck pain. To make a long story short the Ortho doctor's especially the last only treated my symptoms as if they wouldn't actually listen to me. Finally on my own I went to a neurologist. It was the best thing I ever did for my neck and back. He immediately ordered xrays and MRIs. He was shocked that MRIs had never been done. It turned out that within the 2 yes that my neck issues had started and only a spur was found by the or tho and told nothing could be done, I had totally lost a whole disc and my neck was a mess. He found the rupture in my L4. And he focused on my neck due to it was in such bad condition. Within a few weeks I had surgery on Oct 27th last year (14), cervical discotomy fusion with cage. I was sent to a rehabilitation/ therapy/pain doctor for my back. The two of them work together to insure proper treatment. My neuro Dr just found that I have the extra vertebra L6. I was floored also considering I had seen several ortho doctor's over the past 7 years and none of them told me. I had a epidural injection in my L4/s1 in Dec and my pain has gotten worse as well as spasms constantly in my legs. I am know fixing to start PT and traction and getting fitted for a back brace. My neuro Dr wants to try all alternatives before having a discotomy in my back since I am only 41 he said that will be last option my neck surgery there were no options it was either have it or in a few years possibly be peralyzed. So if all the doctors have been or tho I would recommend a neuro Dr and change if the Dr you have been seening are not helping you.