Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I desperately need your advice

scottyboy8sscottyboy8 Posts: 16
Hi there,

I am new to the forum, so let me introduce myself. My name is Scott and I am a 23-year-old male.

I have suffered from sciatic pain for the last 2 years and it is now at a stage where I have to do something about it. I am a Physical Education teacher and it is effecting my career that I am hobbling around all the time and unable to demonstrate any of the skills that I am trying to teach. It is also effecting my social life, as all I did previously was play soccer and would give me soul to get back to 100% fitness and playing again.

I believe the sciatica pain started when I was rammed from behind while go-karting and felt as if my back had broke. At that time I was sleeping on a very cheap memory foam mattress, so I am unsure which one of these factors to blame it on.

About my pain. Sometimes it is ridiculously bad where I can't even walk, others it is unnoticeable in my day-to-day life. However, I feel that I will never get back to playing soccer as I know that it is always there and prevents me from playing/enjoying it. I believe that when it is ridiculously bad, it is my fault due to bad posture (when I'm on my bed, in between sitting and lying down, is when I seem to notice the most onset of pain). I also have very weak core muscles, which I plan on building up, and when I have done so in the past I have felt an improvement, so it is definitely something that I can do, plus I am thinking about taking up yoga.

I am currently in Thailand and can get an MRI scan and a microdisectomy for probably around $1,000, and will happily pay that IF I know that I can get back to playing soccer at a competitive level. Right now it is manageable and I can get by, but would do anything to be 100% again.

So, basically I have a number of questions to ask:

1. Has anybody returned to 100% full physical fitness after an op (played football or soccer competitively)
2. Does anybody have a good rehabilitation programme that I can follow?
3. Personal opinions on i) lying down with head up posture, ii) core muscles, iii) yoga/stretches

Also, your personal opinion on whether I should just do a physical therapy programme vs. an op for full recovery

If you have taken the time to read this and give me a reply I thank you so very much.

Thank you,

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Has a source.
    Do you know if you need surgery? Have you been on anti inflammatory medication and done physical therapy?
    If not you need to see s doctor and get that ball rolling so you know. It's not easy when you're in pain. Stop lying on that funny angle if you suspect it hurts... Some with sciatica get relief from sitting. I never do. I like to either lie flat or stand. Everyone is different.
    I'm sorry you're going through this. Hobbling around isn't fun. If the doctor sends you for imaging (MRI) and you are a surgical candidate then you can ask the surgeon's opinion on soccer.
    Yoga and stretching help. Everything is attached and if you help the load off your spine with a strong core, loose hips and hamstrings that should help. I wouldn't do anything without consulting the doctor first. And listen to your body.
  • Thank you for your reply. I have taken NSAIDs before and it was called Diclofenac. It really helped my pain. I went to see a doctor before and he gave me a quick 2 minute check and said I should have an MRI and an operation, but I felt that he didn't take great care of detail and was giving me a stock reply. Right now the pain is managable, and I thank God that it is. However I want to start playing football and exercising vigorously again as being sedentary isn't fun at all. I done some exercises and totally messed my back up last year (dead lifts) and was close to suicide if the pain stayed for an extra few days. I don't know if it's worth the risk just to play sports. Does anyone have any rehabilitation programmes on building core muscles etc?
  • I have had this pain for 2 years now, and now it is nowhere near the same pain level that it was. Do you think if I start a physiotherapy programme that the pain will go away 100% or do you think if it was going to heal 100% then it would have done so already?
  • It sounds like you really need some imaging done, MRI, CT and Physio to figure out the source of your pain.

Surgery isn't a quick fix.

All the best with recovery.