Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One year and four months later: bring on my discectomy!!!

Justbeingj3ssJJustbeingj3ss Posts: 2
edited 01/04/2015 - 6:17 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm not entirely sure what I'm trying to achieve posting here but I will be booking a surgery for my l5s1 microdiscectomy on Monday after a year and a half of absolute misery and pain. Just hoping I can get some advice and encouragement from anyone in a similar situation or who has undergone this surgery successfully. Please spare me the horror stories...

A little about me. I'm a 27-year-old female who has been active all my life. In the year leading up to my injury I was particularly active, going to the gym every day. That's what got me into this mess! August 2013 I started feeling the now too familiar twinges of sciatica in my left leg. A visit to a walk in clinic doctor told me I had a hamstring pull (pssshhhh!) and I went on my way. I continued being very active in the gym until November when I knew it was time to seek more help. I tried a chiro first, as I've had good success with them after a lower back injury when I was younger. After this didn't work I started seeing a Sports injury doctor in the spring who got me into PT for a period of five weeks. At this point they were pretty sure I had a prolapsed disc impinging on the nerve root but wouldn't give me an MRI until I had done an extensive amount of surgery.

After my PT, my sports doc finally gave me an MRI which I received the results for in August 2014. I was now seeing a Physiatrist instead of my aports doctor after his terrible bedside manner had me in tears and he asked if I would like to "see a magician instead." At this point my pain level was through the roof. I started working full time trom home. The radiculopathy down my left leg was intensely painful and I couldn't walk or stand for any length of time. Fortunately with lots of rest and adequate pain medication I am now at a point where I can manage at work, but I'm still in constant pain.

When my MRI came back this summer it did show my nerve was impinged at l5s1 and my physiatrist recommended an epidural for pain management, which I had done in September 2014. The epidural was a miracle at first, but wore off pretty quickly and now I'm stuck in pain again. I tried PT for several weeks while the pain was gone but to no avail.

I've had a few surgery consults and my surgeon seems to think I am a good candidate for an l5s1 microdiscectomy. I'm looking at February or March for my surgery. I am praying that this is going to help me get my life back as I've tried a lot of non surgical treatments and given my back a good rest. My life is very bleak at the moment in my current condition. I'm 27 and used to being very active. Now I am socially confined as I can't walk or stand for more than a few minutes.

Anyone in the same boat? How did you keep your morale up? Any l5s1 microdiscectomy success stories for an impinged nerve? I'm toying with the idea of a second epidural to get me through until my surgery date but the waiting list is a mile long!!!!

Thanks for reading!

• I just got off my 3rd md on l5s1, take the epidurals until they quit working. The admin asst's are typically overwhelmed, so actually ask them to ask the DR who does the epidural to see if they can get you in early/late/lunch/any office/any time, and request they call you back after bugging the DR....MAKE SURE they know HOW BAD IT IS.

I am 4 weeks out from surgery, didn't go as well, so far......I'm still miserable.....in my 40's, pretty much same situation, tried same stuff; Chiro may have made it worse. Since an inlaw was my Chiro, they ordered an MRI 2 weeks into treatments, looked at that, and sent me to pain management ASAP, who I still work with, in tandem with surgeon.