Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sharp Upper Left Back Pain - HELP!

sarachel17ssarachel17 Posts: 1
edited 01/05/2015 - 4:02 PM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic

My name is Sara and I am a relatively healthy 20 year old female. Around mid-October of last year (2014) I started experiencing upper left back pain. This pain came on gradually and felt like a sore muscle. I am a powerlifter, so I figured I had just strained my lower trap.

Fast forward to December and the pain is all day, everyday! It starts off as a sharp pain when I take a deep breathe, and by the end of the day, I am reaching for any pain killers that I can find to help tame the intense sharp pain. The pain has progressed so much that I ended up in the ER the second week of December, 2014. I have always had high blood pressure, so when I got to the ER, they treated me for that first. After my BP was down, they sent me for an X-ray. The ER doctor said that my X-ray looked okay, but he would recommend seeing my GP for further testing like a CT scan or MRI if my pain didn't go away, or got worse. When I got discharged, my paperwork said that I was treated for chest pain due to high BP. *Note, this ER is the worst!!!! Everyone I know who has been hated the care.*

Anyway, back to well, my back!

It is now January 2015 and my pain has only gotten worse. The pain is now a constant sharp pain at ALL times. It is worse at times, but it is always there. It is now radiating more towards my spine and upper right side of my back. I have also been experiencing some annoying pains that run to my neck, face, and left arm. Lastnight I also had some tingling in my fingers and face/mouth (lips and chin). I do have Raynaud's, but it doesn't feel the same as when that starts up.

Can anyone give me advice if you have had similar pains? This is getting unbearable, and my GP can't see me for a few more days.

My mind runs to a herniated disc, but I figured that would show on the X-ray.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I am pretty interested on this case. Since May that I've been experiencing a sharp pain on my upper back. I've also done a lot of exams which included X-Ray and MRI. Nothing can be visible on those.

I also do weightlifting and I had to stop since then. I've tried everything you might imagine... Osteopathy, Chiropractors, Massage, Deep Tissue Massage, Physiotherapy, Acupuncture, Shiatsu, etc etc etc...

The most noticeable pain is felt while doing the following movements.

1. Deep breath (specially if I'm bent over).
    2. Scapula Addution.

I also tried the lacrosse ball since I suspected on a Serratus Anterior trigger point, but with no luck...

• Can you please give some feedback? I'm kind of desperated.
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 551
    No one on here will be able to give you much advice, other than to see a doctor & tell him the issues that you are having. There are no medical professionals here, just people with spine issues. We kind of give each other moral support. Maybe once you've seen a doctor, let us know what they say & we can offer some advice. Good luck
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,794
    sarachel17, xray will not show herniated disc. You would need better scanning to find that. I had herniation at T6-7 level and tears in the discs above it.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • RockyP14RRockyP14 Napa, CaliforniaPosts: 1
    I know it's been awhile, but did you ever find out what it was that was causing your pain? I am currently experiencing a similar situation!