Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Titanium cage and air travel

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section(mods please move if it is). Along with my ALIF, the doctor inserted a titanium cage on my spine and I wonder if this will set of any alarms while passing through airport security. Did this happen to anyone? Should I get a card from my phsici?

• If it is 100% titanium then no, you will not set off the metal detectors. You can certainly request a note though, if you aren't sure or want reassurance
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 525
    edited 01/16/2015 - 10:19 AM
    I have titanium in my neck and I have never set off any metal detectors, darby. I think you are good to go. :-)
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 525
    edited 01/16/2015 - 10:21 AM
    I did have some screws in my turtle shell brace a few years back that set some metal detectors off but have never set any off with my titanium plate.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Different airports in different countries have different views on titanium and other metal in our bodies.
    I have found that Paris , France is the hardest airport to get by. Titanium is not suppose to set alarms , but in Paris it set every possible alarm. I had more police around me in a few minutes. But they were good, ... In public, I guess they are pretty open about things like this, I took off my shirt showed them the scars, dropped my draws to show my scars and then they were ok.

The last couple of flights inside of USA, I had to go through the full body scan. I did set off all the alarms going through what normal people go through. Even though titanium is not suppose to set things off, depending on the level of sensitivity at the airports, it can set things off.... which is a good thing. One problem I had at LGA (New York City) was in addition to the full body scan, they wanted to search some more. So they sent me to a room and asked me to disrobe. Well, I went to that room, opened the door and there was this poor young lady half naked sitting in a chair and when she sees me she screams. That brought more TSA folks into the area. It all got resolved. And would you know it, that same girl had a seat with my wife and myself. We did have a good laugh, though she was a bit embarrassed.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com