Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdiscectomy 3 weeks post op

ellozeelloz Posts: 22
edited 01/05/2015 - 3:27 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi All,

Well today is three weeks post op from my microdiscectomy on the worst of my three herniated discs and so far so good.

Surgery itself took an hour longer than expected, my neurosurgeon said it was a real mess in there, he had to do a lot of cleanup work. I was back in my room by 8pm (surgery started at 4pm) and I got out of bed walking for the first time at 11pm (had to pee :P) I was pleased and surprised when they got me up. I was in a lot of pain when I first woke up, no surprises there, I gave the morphine a fair work out for the first two hours but after that I went to slow release morphine tablets and panadol only for pain relief. The most incredible thing, aside from some lingering numbness in my left foot ALL sciatic pain was gone, I was just left with pain at the site from the actual surgery itself. I flew home (2hr flight) one week post surgery, that was a trial and I was VERY sore by the end of the day but my surgeon had said one flight would be okay. I stayed at my parents house (no stairs) for another week and a half after that and now I've finally gone home.

Three weeks later I am still going well, no need for any pain relief medication at all, moving around easily, sitting to eat meals and such, walking every day. I have got a few more symptoms again but nothing unmanageable. I have some mild left calf pain, which was one of the things the Dr said could remain, I have numbness in my left foot still. I am still very much aware if I overdo it. I get strong pain in my hips. If I sleep on my left I also have a painful day the next day. The only new symptom I have gained since surgery is some numbness and pins and needles in my RIGHT foot. Up until now I have not had any right hand sided symptoms but I am hoping its just from swelling etc. Even if it is permanent... well I can deal with some sensation loss as long as I can walk and sit again. Eleven days after surgery, just after Christmas, I got gastro, it spread through my whole family courtesy of one of my little cousins at Christmas lunch. Vomiting 11 days post surgery is NOT fun, it was after that I got the pins and needles in my right foot. I think I might have aggravated or done some damage when throwing up. Not good but like I said, I can deal with it.
All in all going very well, healing fast, I have no external stitches which is great, the cut is about three inches long. I am glad I had the surgery.

Edit- Just an extra thought. I know I can't post hospital details etc but my surgeon and my care a the Australian hospital I had was fabulous. I have a severe getting cut open phobia, so as you can imagine, surgery was hard, they made it so much easier. I felt safe, I felt looked after, I felt like I could trust them. I don't want to have to go through surgery again, but if I ever have to I will go back to that Dr and that hospital. Just thought I should give them the props they rightly deserve.