Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4/L5 Microdisectomy and Laminectomy 10 days ago

JG1003JJG1003 Posts: 7
edited 01/05/2015 - 6:23 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi Everyone! I'm a 32 year old female who recently had a Microdisectomy and a laminectomy and my L4 & L5 discs.. I'm doing ok so far, still feeling pain when i transition from laying to sitting, sitting to standing, etc or when I'm walking, sitting or standing for too long, but the pain is manageable. I only take a pain pill and a muscle relaxer at night before bed. I'm trying to work from home on my laptop but am finding that it;s hard for me to sit for too long but then also hard to get up once im involved in a project or an email. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to maintain my work life while i recover? I'm typically a very active person and it's hard for me to just not do anything but at the same time i know i need to take it easy to ensure a full recovery. I see my doctor in 2 days for him to remove my stitches and he'll talk to me about when I can return to work (mostly desk work but office has 3 flights of stairs) but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or any idea how long this will take me to fully heal? What about working out? When was everyone able to return to their normal workout routines?

Any suggestions, stories, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated! I feel so happy to have found this forum because i now realize im not alone :)

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 01/05/2015 - 9:36 PM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Does work require you to work right now? If you look back on what you're doing what advise would you give to your 32 year old self? Listen to your body. It's telling you a story and by posting you're using a laptop and in pain says to me it's good that your mind is willing.... But listen to what carries that mind around.
    If you read enough reherniation and multiple surgeries in one year posts on here it's a harsh reality but spine surgery isn't like getting an appendix out. This needs to take time. You need to be doing physio when the surgeon says so. You should ask them to teach you how to be the desk jockey you are with proper posture and ergonomics. Your 40 year old self will thank you.
    I wish I had this advise and listened.... and acted.

This sounds harsh.. I'm sorry but it's only been 10 days. Your back comes first now or it will always be talking to you.
  • NinaRNNinaR Posts: 3
    edited 01/18/2015 - 11:19 PM
    granted i didnt have the same surgery that you did but as of today i am 24 days post-op and i got to say i agree with spiny, if you dont have to work right now, dont. if sitting up too long is causing you pain you should be lying down, it takes time to heal. believe me i know how you feel im a 33 year old very active female and 3 weeks of not being able to sit up for more than 45min at a time and only walking about 10min at a time is driving me insane! And I have a bad case of cabin fever, for sure. I want my legs back, i want to get back to the gym, to work, to my garden and all my other hobbies. But as much as I want those things I also want to be able to do those things for the rest of my life, not just until i injure myself again and possibly forever next time. take your time, get PT and do what they say. Honestly i cant tell you that asking your dr. how long it takes to heal will do you much good, im sure that every case is different so there would be no exact timeline for it anyway, it would depend on how bad your injury was before surgery and just how much they were able to fix. from what little ive seen on here and had my own dr. tell me typical recovery time seems to be somewhere between 3 and 6 months but i am laboring under the impression that that is for full recovery not necessarily a go back to work/light duty type of recovery. Given that a Physical Therapist would spend more time with you working on movement/work vs. pain/risk, thats the person i would go to with those questions.

Good Luck!
  • Hi, I'm recovering from similar operation at L4-L5 joint, bone fusion, now day 7 post-op. I too feel bored and needing more to do but I realize it us important to rest and allow the spine to fuse properly. I listen to the pain. I rest in the most comfortable position I can manage. What I'm finding most useful right now is having my iPad and my iPhone with me. I can play my favorite games, check email, etc. my husband moves the charger and cables wherever I need to be: bed; couch; easy chair. Lol!
    Lumbar fusion TLIF L4-5 Jan 12, 2015