Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 Microdiscectomy 3 Week Post-Op

ChrisAC85CChrisAC85 Posts: 3
Hi everyone,

Newbie here! I just had a microdiscectomy on 12/12/2014 which was due to a L5/S1 10 mm herniation. I would say the herniation occurred in July of 2013 and I dealt with sciatica up until my operation. The sciatic pain was very severe for the first two months. I had tried everything from physical therapy to epidurals. The epidurals helped temporarily, but after a few months the pain returned. I am a pretty active, but I was held back because of the sciatic pain down my left leg. Whenever I felt like the pain was decreasing, I would return to working out and playing soccer, but the pain eventually would come back to where I would have to stop my activities. I finally gave in and decided to go with the surgery. After my surgery, I noticed that the sciatic pain was gone, but I still had a different type of pain going down my leg. It kind of felt like a cramping feeling which may have been nerve irritation from the surgery. Overall, I am happy with the results so far but I am concerned. I am a lot more mobile now 3 weeks after the surgery and I decided to do the "sciatica test" by sitting down, extending my left leg out, and looking down. After doing that I noticed that I still have this sciatic pain in my butt cheek and a little bit down my leg. Has anyone experienced the same thing? Is this normal? Is it also a bad idea to be doing stretches 3 weeks after surgery? I have been following the doctors orders by minimizing bending over, no twisting and no heavy lifting.
L5/S1 Disc Herniation. Microdiscectomy 12/12/14