Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Stabilization with rods and screws

Hi everyone, I hope everyone is having a restful day today and hopefully pain free.

Can I say I have no private health insurance, I have had to pay out of my own pocket both in the UK and Spain - mostly because of the terrible pain

I originally came to Spain from the UK where I had decompression 6 months before I came here. I have had other ops etc. but rubbish surgeon.

After my op I was still in pain, this is 5 years on but now my local hospital has my pain controlled by Pazital and Lyrica. I have now consulted two surgeons in Valencia who have looked at my new MRIs and X Rays (thoroughly done in Benidorm) and both agree that stabilization should have been done at the time of decompression. Neither of these surgeons consulted one another. I also paid to have further tests including a bone scan. From leaving the UK until now (a consultant at the hospital recommended I have vit D treatment twice a day)

So I am booked into Valencia hospital this month and I believe the surgeon is doing a titanium rod and screws. Cheaper screws because of my good bones !!

I still have a little bit of doubt, is there any chance of the titanium screws coming away from the bone.

Has anyone had titanium rods/screws for a few years that could give me piece of mind. The surgeons say I will be OK but thats what I was told years ago and have had bad experiences talking to surgeons. I am putting my life in the surgeons hands. I am fairly fit and do a bit of walking inbetween pills and yoga (think the meds make me put on weight despite me applying a diet)

Thanks for reading this.... Most of the crap I have missed out - more concerned about my op and my 12,000€

• There is never a guarantee with these types of operations. Some people have hardware problems after surgery and others dont. The best thing you can do is make sure you are doing it with a highly qualified surgeon and then follow your post-op restrictions to the letter. Good luck!
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1