Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS from St Jude-Can This Help For "Soft Tissue" Pain After 6 Spinal Fusions?

My new pain management clinic is recommending this model, PUSHING it down my throat as opposed to the pain pump I assumed would be most effective. I never had any TENS unit EVER give me even the slightest relief. I read however that this is honestly different. I met with my primary care doctor yesterday to ask his opinion since each and every surgery from Neurosurgeon AND Ortho surgeons have left me now crippled for life with failed back syndrome and pain at a level I never even imagined could exist. Wounded 4 times in my youth in the USMC, I KNOW pain, but nothing like the past year....

The thing that galls me the most is I never felt like I EVER had any disc issues bad enough for surgery but for 40 + years ( I am now about to turn 66 years of age), I would have episodes every few months where even just rolling over in bed and it felt like somebody literally RIPPED a knife horizontally across my lower back. It's like muscle tissue literally tearing apart. Then I spend 2 to 6 weeks unable to even get in & out of bed so I lay flat and use large moist heat pads and just wish I had never been born. As a result, it was always recommended to have fusions and after refusing for 35 years, once they conned me into believing it would help STOP these muscle or soft tissue pains, I fell for it and it honestly ruined my life forever....I hate drugs and in fact refused them forever against doctors request since I was unable to work when so drugged. But after the first 2 fusions crippled me 6 years ago I tried again since it turned out I would never work again. April of 2014 (9 months ago) I had the botched L3-L4 fusion removed and an new ortho surgeon redid it but fused all the way from L3 to S1. Found a huge larger than a grapefruit Lipoma tumor and turns out THAT is what completely paralyzed my left leg and side the prior November but he still went ahead with all the fusuin even after he "discovered this massive tumor all his MRI & CT scan missed. THAT did not make me happy even a little bit.

So 2 weeks ago it was determined I now have failed back syndrome, surgeon now admits "he guesses the surgery maybe wasn't best given the tumor and he is SORRY"....great stuff. So I no longer walk. I can creep around on a walker on a "good day". Sometimes can't even stand for more than about 2-3 minutes without falling. These ripping, tearing feelings across my lumbar area continue. I have been using Fentanyl 50 MCD patches since 4/15/ 2014. They no longer even seem to make ANY noticeable difference but my doctor yesterday INSISTED I keep on them (against MY request to help me wean off completely no matter how much pain) because he is worried my pain level will give me a heart attack. He tried to bump me to 75 MCD but I quit after just 1 patch. It flat knocked me out! I am acutely sensitive to any & all medication so here I am now. He prefers I try the St Judes SCS due to it's less invasive nature and that I can have a reversible "trial". But even he admits, he has NO idea if these devices can help even a little bit ot at all on muscle pain, soft tissue pain or my back spasms.

Does ANYONE here have any experience of any kind with these devices in relation to spasms and muscle pain, as opposed to disc issues (since I HAVE no more discs!)? Any info or insight is s o appreciated you just can't imagine. I am postponing my interview for 3 weeks to better research since I just simply do not trust ANY doctor anymore since every single surgical procedure done to me, drastically reduced my quality of life until I now am home bound and can't even drive the past 13 months due to drugs. I refuse to endanger others to drive high and this is why I want OFF drugs. I will take the pain if I must, until I can no longer survive it I guess. But I just want MY last days to be days I remember, days I recognize the love of my life who is sacrificing EVERYTHING trying to help me. I want to remember how much I am loved and remember why I have fought sso long, so hard to be healthy and not surrender to all of this. But the drugs? The drugs have GOT to end, I have almost zero memory of the past 13 months and it just breaks my heart. hopefully, someone here can tell me if they had any luck with these SCS devices helping with MY type of pain. Good new OR bad news, if you have any experience with it for muscle pain or spasms, please let me know before I make another mistake. I am scared to death of having this done while awake, but I am terrified of the pain pump scenario in every respect! Hope to hear from anyone out there and THANK you!

Fusion With Hardware C5/C6
Fusion With Hardware L3 THROUGH S1