Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Shoulder and bicep pain

AmberhannaAAmberhanna Posts: 1
edited 01/07/2015 - 8:38 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello. I am having some scapula, shoulder and arm pain. My chiropractor isn't sure if I have nerve impingement because I do not have impaired range of motion or numbness. We are not ruling out muscular injury to my arm. My question is about the type of arm pain you all are experiencing. For me, my bicep has very sore and tender trigger points. It feels bruised or strained. Is that the type of arm pain you experience? And I have a difficult time straightening my arm without feeling like my bicep is being pulled. Are these familiar symptoms to those that have disc herniation? Thanks in advance! Amber

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi :) i googled neck & bicep pain & found myself here. I have exactly as you describe, the doctor thinks it is a pinched nerve & sent me for physio. How long have you had the pain for? I noticed a sore bicep in summer when reaching up to peg out washing, feels very tender & pain when stretching my arm in certain positions like fastening my bra but pain in neck & shoulder is a new thing & my hand keeps tingling too.
  • I can speak for C3-6, which I'm not sure includes bicep, but does include most of the arm. For me, and most people that have myelopathy, it is not a pain issue, it is a weakness issue. My arms feel heavy, and although I initially have (mild) strength to do things, I deplete rapidly to very little. I am quite sad to have myelopathy, but at least I'm not in pain!

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• I can tell you I presented to my PCM with acute right arm pain....shoulder pain. At times arm pain was dull and felt like a bruising pain. Shoulder pain was awful. It felt like a hot knife being pushed into it. Even my shirt rubbing my shoulder and rotator area hurt. They threw hydrocodone at it to no affect. In the end had a MRI of shoulder to rule out rotator cuff injury..and cervical spinal mri to check it out. Next call from my PCM was to see a neurosurgeon. Disc herniation at C4/5 and C 5/6 and slight bulge at C 3/4. I would suggest you see your PCM for further evaluation. I am not a doctor and am only giving my experience with similar symptoms. :)
  • diagnosed with herniated disk.finger feel like they were shut in a door and should/arm pain goes off the charts but is off and on.got the hand weakness too.going to chiropractor again friday,hes been trying to fix it and has eliminated most of the neck pain but the nerves going out are still pretty inflammed.funny thing is,no idea how I got it,just woke up with it one morning about 2 weeks ago and it got progressively worse till I decided to go see a someone for help.
  • Many years ago before I knew what neck problems I had, one of my doctors suggested a mri of my shoulder before I explored any cervical issues. Found out I had a lot of inflammation and a cyst in my shoulder. I had it cleaned out microscopically. Both my shoulder and neck needed surgical intervention but after the shoulder was fixed my symptoms were so much better. It may be worth a shot to check into.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • WxguruWxguru Posts: 14
    edited 01/20/2015 - 6:41 AM
    Geo...same here. I just woke up one morning with a horrible crick in my neck that turned out to be much more
  • Both my biceps spasmed and I could not stretch out my arms for months. Was awful. Forearms, also (the tops of them). I needed a C5/6 fusion, which took them for forever to diagnose and help me with surgery. 8 months post surgery, still a muscle mess! Waiting to get better! Hoping.
  • I think it all started with shoulder pain, years back. Then a few years ago my elbow on my right couldn't touch anything without me jumping in pain. I also had pins and needles & numbing in my right hand often. Then came the sore bicep. It came to be that I couldn't ignore it anymore and presented myself to my physiotherapist. My tendons in my arm were all jumbled. Some days I cannot move the arm even slightly without expecting a surprise pain; but I'm not sure which movement will set it off. Other days, like today I feel only minor pain.
    What seems to have helped a lot are the physio appointments (she's actually a physical therapist -- here in Canada that is different than physio), are the 2-3 week appointments or 45 min. and the exercises she's given me. Subtle but correcting physical behaviour that doesn't support the joints. So a good physio can teach you how to use other muscle groups to circumvent the pain. I imagine surgery might be the only way to fix the cervical degeneration, but I wouldn't do that unless I was up against the wall and had no other viable options. Good luck.