Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sleeping Post ALIF

Sleeping has been very troublesome post ALIF!! I can only sleep so many hours flat on my back before it becomes uncomfortable. I've tried sleeping on my left and right sides but it is very uncomfortable and a bit painful. Does anyone have any tips to a more peaceful sleep?

• Just curious, how long ago was your surgery?
  • darby01darby01 Posts: 191
    edited 01/08/2015 - 12:34 PM
    December 23rd
  • Instead of being either flat on your back or directly on your sides, perhaps trying a half side, half back with pillows stabilizing your position. It takes quite a while after surgery to get comfortable. I don't want to worry you, but it was close to a month after surgery for me to get to a point I could sleep half way decent.

At your next doctor's appointment, mention your having difficulty sleeping and see if they have any suggestions or sleep aid that can help.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • It took me about month as well. I took my muscle relaxers just before going to bed to help me fall asleep which helped and some nights I would prop the pillows to where I was sleeping on my back but in a somewhat sitting up position as Keith mentions which helped. The first month is tough so hang in there, sleeping will eventually get better.
  • darby01darby01 Posts: 191
    edited 01/13/2015 - 3:37 PM
    On a good note...Ive been able to sleep on my side the last couple of nights
  • I'm only 6 days post op TLIF and sleep has been elusive for me. However, my brother brought me a memory foam mattress topper with cooling something. I slept five hours straight night before last and seven hours straight last night on my back with two pillow propped under knees. saved my life. It might be worth trying! Hope you get better results soon! I miss sleeping on my side , but the heaviness of the hardware still hurts too badly.