Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Arachnoid Cyst Surgery

crystaleyezccrystaleyez Posts: 1
edited 01/08/2015 - 5:56 AM in Recovering from Surgery
My 4 year old is going to have spinal surgery in the next 4.5 weeks to remove a large spinal arachnoid cyst that is compressing on his spinal cord from C7-T8. I am curious if anyone has had this type of surgery to remove the arachnoid cyst (Surgeon thinks he will be able to completely remove it vs. a shunt) and what the recovery is like. I am very concerned about when my little guy comes home and keeping him completely flat on his back for the majority of the day. Any hints on things to do on your back? Any devices that made your life easier post surgery? Has any had a soft cast to be able to lie on their side or belly? We have already been through so much with my little guy with three other surgeries (minor compared to this) and we want to be as prepared as possible so he doesn't have any complications. Thank you in advance for advice!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • MyboyMMyboy Posts: 2
    edited 01/10/2015 - 10:03 AM
    My 13 year old just had this surgery on 1/7 for an arachnoid cyst in his lumbar spine that was compressing his nerve roots. He had a laminectomy and had to lie flat for three days following surgery. Staying in front of the pain is important because he can't move or change positions to alleviate it. You may want a special pad under your child like an egg crate type mattress to help your child manage the time on his back. My son was able to sit up today but is experiencing headaches so we are giving him caffeinated drinks to alleviate the headaches. May be helpful to have some on hand if you don't already. If you have any questions about recovery or anything, I would be happy to share our experience.
  • darealsteveoddarealsteveo Posts: 31
    edited 01/21/2015 - 2:22 PM
    Good luck on that. I had an arachnid cyst worked on 3 times and catching hell