Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thinking about dumping my new PM doctor

Hello all,

Today I am just looking for a little advice regarding my pain management doctor. Here's a little background regarding my condition. I have herniated discs from the T-8 through T-11, DDD, and scoliosis. I had a visit with a nurse practitioner shortly before Christmas. We decided on trying a steroid injection. That was the only option I was given. However, it was suggested to me as a cure all. I spoke with my PCP and she said it sounded like a viable option because I would like to be off of pain medication ASAP.

So Tuesday of this week, the sixth, I went to the local surgi center for my injection. Prior to this, I was told by the nurse practitioner that I would not remember the procedure and would not feel any pain from it. However, upon arrival, my pre op nurse told me 'I have no reason to lie to you, you will be awake and it will hurt. However, the doctor wants to be able to communicate with you during the procedure to ensure he is in the right nerve space'. Okay, I appreciated the honesty and was alright with it. I can deal with some pain.

Right before the procedure, the doctor comes in and this was the first time we had met. It was abundantly clear that he knew absolutely nothing about me. He asked ME where my injection was going. He thought I had had previous injections. He started listing off symptoms that were supposedly mine only to be told by me that no, I do not have abdominal pain or chest pain. At this point, I was getting ready to leave because I felt uncomfortable with his lack of knowledge on his own patient. My pre op nurse and procedure nurse came and talked to me that the injection was for the best and that I could be pain free soon. Ultimately, I decided to let the procedure happen.

During the procedure, he gave me three different injections around the same area. I have never had lumbar pain prior to the injection. During the third injection, I attempted to speak to the doctor and tell him that I felt pain in my lumbar region. His response 'don't talk, don't move'. At this point, I wish I could have run off the table and out of the building. In recovery, the lumbar pain was at a 9. I told the doctor this and he said 'you'll be pain free soon'.

Yesterday, as in the day after my procedure, I had visible and painful spasms in my lumbar region. I was at a 9 on the pain scale in a place I have never had pain before. My discharge information from the surgi center told me to go to the ER with any new and severe pain. The surgi center called yesterday to see how I was doing. I told them about the new severe pain and they said it was not normal. So I called my PM doctor's office and the nurse practitioner told me to increase the time between my Norco, which they do not prescribe. I have no contract/urine test with my PM office. My PCP does all my prescribing. I told her that I needed something sent to my PCP saying they wanted to increase my dosage because I would run out early, and in turn, be stuck for two days with no meds. She was entirely unconcerned with this. She said two days was not the end of the world and again said 'you'll be pain free soon'. She also told me to use heat and ice, which I said I had already been doing. She said to go to the ER if I was that concerned. I waited two hours for the less than helpful call.

I increased the time between my Norco to see if it would help. I waited an hour and a half and had my mother drive me to the ER. On the way, I called the PM doctor's pager. They guarantee a call back within half an hour. I just wanted to make them aware I was going to the ER. At the ER, I saw both the attending and the resident. They gave me medication for pain, spasms, and nausea. The staff was wonderful. They put a call in to my PM doctor at six. The ER staff wanted some feedback from my doctor on how to treat. So, in this time, two hours after I called the pager to let them know I was going to the ER, I finally get a call back. Apparently the half an hour guarantee is not a guarantee. Anyway, as I'm laying there my mother answers my phone and the nurse practitioner told her that she never briefed the doctor on my condition before my injection. HUH?!

So basically, I think I'm going to stop going to this PM now rather than later. He treated me like livestock. The ER doctor that called him waited two hours past his shift for a call back and never received one. The consensus at the ER was that he hit the wrong nerve and did not listen while I was trying to tell him that. Ultimately, I know that I underwent the procedure despite my reservations. I take responsibility for that. However, does it feel like an overreaction on my part to want to get out of this practice before I get further involved with contracts and what not?

Thank you all for reading the novel! I guess I'm just looking for some validation that I am not crazy. I want to get out of this practice before getting involved any further. Any advice would be awesome.

• Judith PatersonJJudith Paterson Posts: 1
    edited 01/10/2015 - 11:17 PM
    Kelsiedee, Sounds Like An Excellent plan to me!!
  • This happens all too many times. Some PM's strictly are there to file insurance claims. My first PM couldn't hardly speak English and we had a definite communication issue. He ended up hitting a nerve with the needle which made my leg feel like it was going to shoot off my hip.

Based on what happened, I would certainly start looking for another doctor. If you feel that the doctor or his staff misrepresented anything to you, you may contact the state medical licensing board to see if there is any history of similar behavior and file a complaint if you feel strongly that there was something done wrong.

I was on my third PM doctor before I was comfortable staying with his practice. The first two were simply dud's. I hope you find some better care and relief soon.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • nuf said
    sorry this happened to you, it shouldn't, PERIOD
    take care