Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cold-natured after myelopathy

Just wondering if anyone out there has become cold-natured after being diagnosed with myelopathy. Have had myelopathy symptoms for almost a year, the change in temp tolerance happened during this time. I used to be very warm-natured. The change started in my hands and feet and has now progressed to all over. Had an ACDF last Oct. and it didn't change anything, I'm still freezing all the time. I know of at least one other forum member that has the same issue. Asked my NS if the damage to my spinal cord could have caused a problem with my circulation but he said the cord doesn't affect circulation. Anyone out there that can relate?

• And before I had myelopathy, I would occasionally have cold feet, but nothing like this. Layers upon layers, and still ice cold, for hours. I've only had myelopathy a few months, and my left is worse than my right. I can actually see a color difference, IF I only feel it in the one foot (sometimes both). My hands are affected as well, but not as bad.
    Interestingly enough, I was previously diagnosed with Raynaud's, so (only) my fingertips will turn pure white from blood vessel spasms, even when it's only 45 out or so. Since I developed myelopathy, I don't have the Raynauds anymore. Bizarre.

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• I have/had myelopathy issues stemming from a herniated disc kn my neck. After surgery I was so warm and couldn't cool off. The nurse ended up turning the temp down to 63 degrees in the room. My feet are always cold though. I cant have cold directly on my neck. No ice or heat on my neck or its pain for hours to come. Being in Wisconsin and the extreme cold temps we are having lately, I have to keep my neck covered
    Tracie C
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,806
    The cord is part of CNS which is directly related to autonomic function and in turn to nerves that control blood vessels. Take it from me I have cold hands and feet after cord impact due to autonomic dysfunction and small fiber neurapathy. The blood vessels dont get proper thermoregulation signals from brain so dont constrict and relax when supposed to . I have feet and hands so cold it feels like frozen but burning. You can feel to touch. I am quoting my neuromuscular specialsit in the first sentance. Look online central cord syndrome and paralysis often result in lack of thermoregulation and issues tolerating cold or cold limbs. Nerves control everything , specifically autononmic nerves they control when we do not consiously control. I have issues with heart due to autonomic nerves. Example: POTS is a disorder of the autonomic system of nerves that causes issues due to blood not circulation correctly to brain and pooling in legs. Neck injuries seem to be common thread in all of us.

The nervous system has central and peripheral parts. The central nervous system includes the brain and spinal cord. The peripheral nervous system includes the nerves that connect the body's tissues with the brain and spinal cord. Peripheral nerves include autonomic nerves (see Overview of the Autonomic Nervous System), which automatically (unconsciously) regulate body processes. Peripheral nerves also include somatic nerves, the nerves that connect with muscles under voluntary (conscious) control or with sensory receptors in the skin.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • I had seen where the cord has something to do with temperature control. So this makes sense, thanks for the info. Sure hope my nerves get repaired and I get warm-natured again.