Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back pain with progression

edited 01/14/2015 - 8:59 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi,

I'm 25 and a soldier. I have been having this issue in my lower/ middle back that has onset alot of issues elsewhere like my knee/hip/pelvic area.

It started with my right knee about three years ago March 2012 when I joined.I was taking my pt (physical training) test. Its been a big issue of mine, I had a cyst that formed then popped sometime in 2013 all onset by a "stress fracture" so i was told. I still havent had a straight answer with it or why it happened. I have had many MRIs/ X-rays/Bone Scans when I was reffered to Orthopedics and auquatic/ land therapy, I've been shocked not sure what the machine is called all done through Physical Therapy. I have no cysts or stress fractures now but still have severe pain.

Well back in April 2014 I started getting mild pinches in my right lower back/hip/buttock which sent numbing sharp tingles down to my right leg and foot. I woke up the next morning with serious pain so I went to the Army post ER and they told me it was muscle spasms and sent me on my way with no x ray but did gave me muscle relaxers. The meds didnt really help so I went to my Dr. on base the following week he pushed and probed which hurt like crazy. He sent me to an Ortho Dr. after complaining for a good while and that Dr. did two MRIs the results read:

Procedure:L-SPINE(AP,LAT,AND SPOT)
Reason for Order: parasthesia right leg buttock to lateral thigh to lat leg. knee and hip pain.
Indication: Paresthesia right leg
Sacralization of L5 on the left or lumbarization of S1 on the right are observed. Curvature of the spine is seen mainly to the left.
Vertebral body heights and disk spaces are unremarkable. Alignment of the spine is normal. Bony abnormality is not seen. Usual curvature of the spine is present.
Conclusion: Sacralization or lumbarization as mentioned. Curvature of the spine
Scoliosis survey is recommended

^^^^^^^^^^^^ this result was NOT explained or told to me^^^^^^^^^^^^

Procedure:HIP,RT
Reason for Order: pain in hip with knee and thigh pain.
Indication: Paresthesia right leg
Sacralization of L5 on the left or lumbarization of S1 on the right are observed. Curvature of the spine is seen mainly to the left.
Vertebral body heights and disk spaces are unremarkable. Alignment of the spine is normal. Bony abnormality is not seen. Usual curvature of the spine is present.
Conclusion: Sacralization or lumbarization as mentioned. Curvature of the spine
Scoliosis survey is recommended

^^^^^^^^^^^^this result was not explained or told to me either^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So the next day I got a scoliosis survey done it read:

Procedure:SCOLIOSIS SURVEY
Reason for Order: lumbar scoliosis
Examination: And scoliosis survey.
Indication colon scoliosis with
Mild reversed S-shaped scoliosis is noted. In the upper lumbar it is to the right. The angle is measured 5 degrees.
Conclusion: Mild scoliosis

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^nor was this result explained or told to me^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Then I got sent back to therapy which failed before and was told I just had a weak core which was causing muscle spasms and that was it again nothing helped so I quit not only did I have back pain but it made my knee hurt more. So I went back to the ER over the weekend in May 2014 a month later again that week followed up with my Dr. who gave me another MRI which read:

Procedure:MRI, L-SPINE WO/CONT
Reason for Order: tingling and pain into right leg posterior and lateral.
MRI LUMBAR SPINE WITHOUT IV CONTRAST.
[Procedure]: Standard pulse sequences are obtained. Findings: There is lumbarization of S1 with a narrowed disc space between S1 and S2. Mild levoscoliosis noted at the lower lumbar spine. There is no evidence of a fracture, subluxation or focal bony lesion. The T12-L1 and L1-L2 disc space appear mildly narrowed with endplate irregularity and minimal T2 signal loss . Mild endplate also noted at L2-L3 level. The signal intensities from the vertebra and disk spaces otherwise appear within normal limits.
At T12-L1, L1-L2, L2-L3 and L3-L4 levels, minimal posterocentral disc bulging noted. Spinal canal and neural canals appear unremarkable at this levels.
At L4-L5 level, mild annular disc bulging noted causing mild narrowing of both neural canals. Spinal canal appear unremarkable.
At L5-S1 level, mild posterior disc bulging noted causing mild narrowing of both neural canals and minimal narrowing of the spinal canal.
Disc spaces otherwise appear unremarkable.No mass effect noted on the exiting nerve roots at any lumbar level. Surrounding soft tissues, facet joints and the conus medullaris appear unremarkable.
IMPRESSION: 1. Multilevel mild spondylosis . No mass effect noted on the exiting nerve roots at any lumbar level. 2. Lumbarization of S1.

^^^^^^^^again never explained or told to me^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I got reffered to Physical Therapy and put in a back class to help "straingthen my core". Again therapy and the same comment "WEAK CORE which is causing muscle spasms" I refused to do the therapy again and have been dealing with the pain but its getting no better. On top of it all in August 2014 I went in because not only did all of my back hurt, my right knee; I ended up with bad pelvic pain which took a whole month of complaining and ER visits to get so Sep 2014 I got a CT scan w/ contrast and an ultrasoung which read:

Procedure:US, PELVIC PG

Report Text: Examination: Ultrasound pelvis.

Uterus is measured 6.8 x 3.3 x 3.7 cm. Endometrial thickness is 0.4 cm.

Right ovary is 3.5 x 2.0 x 1.9 cm. Left ovary is 3.1 x 1.8 x 1.87. Small to follicles are seen bilaterally which appear to be peripherally oriented.

Free fluid is not seen the pelvis

Conclusion: Findings are compatible with polycystic ovarian syndrome.

Which that led to this:

Procedure:CT, ABDOMEN W/CONTRAST
Reason for Order: 25 year old female chief complaint periumbillicle pain x 3 mo.

Report Text: CT Scan of the Abdomen and Pelvis with IV contrast

Findings: Study was performed after administration of IV contrast.Oral contrast material was utilized. 3 mm contiguous arterial phase axial images of the abdomen and pelvis were obtained.

There is excess fluid seen within the terminal ileum which is suggestive of inflammation in the terminal ileum. Appendix appear unremarkable. The wall of the duodenum appear slightly thick and fuzzy which may be due to mild inflammation or lack of adequate distention.The bowel otherwise appear unremarkable .There is a 2 x 1.5 cm cyst noted in the left ovary. Right ovary is unremarkable . Uterus appear retroverted. The liver, gallbladder, spleen, pancreas, kidneys, adrenal glands, aorta, and urinary bladder appear unremarkable. No adenopathy, free air, free fluid, bowel wall thickening,abdominal aortic anurysm, cystic or solid mass or abnormal contrast enhancement was seen .Fat planes appear clean. Visualised lung bases appear clear.

Impression: 1. Excess fluid seen within the terminal which is suggestive of inflammation in the terminal ileum. Clinical correlation recommended. 2. There is a 2 x 1.5 cm cyst in the left ovary. Retroverted uterus. 3. Other findings as discussed above.

After that result Jan 2015 I got a Colonoscopy done and was told I had IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and polyps in my colon

December 17, 2014 I got a pain that almost knocked me off my feet while I was in the shower. I went to the ER and they gave me a shot in my hip to manage the pain which helped for that day but as soon as it went away the pain came right back as if it never left.

Now I'm left with knee pain , back pain, polycystic overian syndrome, and IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) to top it all off. All which happened in that order
all of the results on my back I DID NOT KNOW about until maybe a month ago when I had to get a copy of my medical records for another hospital to do that colonoscopy and went through it. Funny how all I had was just a "WEAK CORE". I need any advise I can get. I know my story is long but I want it all out so I can get the best help other than these Military Drs.
advertisement