Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi all! Long time no see. I had my St. Jude SCS permanently implanted in late August 2013. At first I thought it was great, but within a month, half of my neck and face turned bright red - like a horrible sunburn - and was extremely itchy. I didn't think anything about it though. Exactly 1 year ago, I developed and awful rash on both of my forearms. I went to MedExpress, and the doc there told me I had scabies, I tried the medicine they prescribed for me, and it made it 10 times worse. They cultured some of the rash, and it was positive for MRSA. I wasn't surprised, since I've tested positive for MRSA numerous times in the past from boils.

I scratched and scratched at it (I tried not to scratch, but found myself doing it in my sleep), and within a month or so, I literally had holes in my skin. Liz can tell you about it, as I took pictures of everything all year and have an album posted on Facebook. If anyone wants to see it, find me on fb as Karen Pletcher Campion, friend me, then you can look at the album.

Finally a few months ago, I saw an infectious disease dr. She is highly regarded as one of the best in the country. Well, you had to pick my jaw up from the floor when she said that the spread of MRSA was caused by my SCS, and that it had to be removed.

So I'm scheduled for an explant on Tuesday the 13th. I can't wait, but am also a bit nervous. I'm guessing, and will ask on Monday when they call me with the time for my surgery, that they'll have to remove not only the battery, but also the percutanious leads. I hope they take the leads out, even if recovery is more difficult, otherwise the MRSA won't go away. I haven't used my SCS now for several months, and my skin is finally starting to clear up.

My PM doc is angry at me for having it removed. I guess there go some of his kickbacks!

So has anyone ever developed MSRA, or had their MRSA get worse, because of an SCS?

Oh, and hi Liz!
I hope this works because next up on my list of medical issues to deal with is getting my gallbladder out!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Good to see you back posting again

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • My infant child, 2yr old and me had it. It all erupted at the same time for us. My son had it the worst (2yr. old). The hospital and infectious disease department did a study of our family and how it spreads. They swabbed our home for everything over the course of three months. It went away and that was that. Scary stuff without the serious antibiotics. Otherwise we were lucky. Imagine staff infections that don't go away before they knew it was methilicin (sp.?) resistant. I'd imagine it could be very serious. I'm glad that you can be rid of it soon... At the expense of the pump.