Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post-ALIF Complications Resulting in Screw Removal

Hello all,

I had ALIF surgery at the L5-S1 level just over 10 weeks ago. At about 3 weeks post-op, I began to experience freedom from the pain that has been a dark shadow over my life for the past 10 years. I was absolutely ecstatic as I had been in pain so long. At about the 5 week mark, I began experiencing cramping pains again in my right leg and my right extremities have grown substantially colder and paler than the left side of my body. I was devastated, as I had been reminded of what a pain-free life was like and then it was gone. It has continued to get worse and now has passed my pre-surgery pain levels. My surgeon was concerned that I shouldn't be in this much pain at this stage in recovery and ordered an MRI. The MRI revealed that the cage in between my vertebrae had shifted and one of the screws had gone through the back of the vertebrae and was now pressing on my nerves. I am now facing an additional surgery to have this screw removed.

I have scoured this forum and found many posts about screws breaking and/or hardware needing to be removed. I have not found one that specifically speaks to screw(s) needing to be removed following the ALIF procedure. I am simply asking if anyone has had to have screws or hardware removed following ALIF surgery, and if so, what was your experience?

Thanks for reading!
L4/L5 Discectomy October 2010
L4L5 ALIF October 2014