Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar disc herniation resorption after 6 months?

vladone97vvladone97 Posts: 4
edited 01/11/2015 - 12:27 AM in Lower Back Pain
Okay, so, this summer, my 30 years-old cousin ended up with a lumbar disc herniation (don't know which level) after repeated lifting and carrying of heavy things. She had the usual symptoms: low back pain, leg pain and difficulty walking. She did conservative treatment and a couple of weeks later, she could wear high heels again. Now, 6 months later, her pain is mostly gone. She only has back pain if it's cold or if she stresses her back (like lifting about 2kg). One could say that she turned out pretty well.
But there's still one thing: she was told by her doctor that, aside from the current state, a disc herniation can't get better, only worse, that she's stuck like this for the rest of her life and that the best she can do is to take good care of herself so that things won't come down to surgery. I told her about the whole resorption thing, but she doesn't believe it. And it's not like she was told so only after finishing the treatment. I mean, the doctor might have or might have not said that after the treatment as well, I don't know, but the idea is that she was told so from the very beginning.
My question is the next: is there a chance that her disc herniation is going to resorb, even though 6 months have already passed, or was the doctor right? Is she stuck like this forever or is she going to get better given her age and current improvement?