Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Difference between trial and perm

Tammyanne01TTammyanne01 Posts: 3
edited 01/10/2015 - 10:17 PM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hi all! I had my trial stimulator put in on Tuesday, January 6th. I had been having so much discomfort with the incisions (I DO NOT have a high pain tolerance) that I couldn't tell is the SCS was working on my lower back pain. I had my SCS reprogrammed on Friday, January 9th. The problem is that I can't mimic what my normal day usually is because I am out of work. It's after about 4 hours sitting in my chair when my back starts to flair up so much. After talking with the rep, we decided that I am going to shut it off for the rest of the day today. I'm going to sit at the kitchen table for 4-5 hours tomorrow. When the pain starts, I will then turn the SCS on and see if I can tell if the pain lessens. Is there anyone who did NOT go with the perm, and if so, why? As of right now, I have no idea either way. ALSO, when you have the stimulator off, can you still feel the tingles randomly?

Discectomy, L5/S1 on right 12/2009; now L4/L5 on right and L5/S1 on left disc herniations and disc impingements

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • fpgt72ffpgt72 Posts: 4
    edited 01/11/2015 - 2:10 PM
    I had mine put in on 1/7/15 so I am a few days into my trial as well. I can tell you that it 100% helps with the nerve pain that I have been having, the post op pain has been pretty rough however. My back gets tight, the muscles get tight. A warm bath would feel SO good but that is a no no.

What I would suggest is see if you can find some of those rice packs you put in the microwave and warm up. They really help me.

I also have not been back to work yet....post op pain is a downer, but the stimulator thingy works great.
  • I had to have my trial cut short (I was going to do 10 days) because a guy rear-ended me. So, my leeds were pulled the next day. I couldn't get over my post-op pain to get a REAL feeling for the SCS. And, I kept having problems everyday with it only working on one side when I woke up in the morning. My rep re-programmed 3 times. My doctor is now showing me the one with the paddle that Saint Jude makes. I just don't know if I want something foreign in my body that is going to "scar" into it.
    Discectomy, L5/S1 on right 12/2009; now L4/L5 on right and L5/S1 on left disc herniations and disc impingements
  • Hi, I did my trial back in November and had my perminate stimulator implanted 2 weeks ago today. My experience with the actual trial was not great. I think the long wires, the actual procedure and lack of actual trail time did not work for me. I too have a high pain tolerance. I felt like there was something wrong with me until I read about others that felt the same.
    I decided to just do the I actual implant just by research and speaking to a really good neurosurgeon. I am 2 weeks in and feel pretty good! I actually have woken up 2 mornings in a row without pain! I am optimistic that I made the right choice.
    The recovery has been ok, I am listening to the dr and taking my time. Remember, it is a surgery with 2 incisions with staples.
    I understand why they do a trial, but for me, it wasn't worth my time or expense.
    Oh, and when my stimulator is off, I don't feel anything. For me, the stimulation is much better with the actual implanted stimulator than the trail.
    Good luck!!!
  • Hi, I had my trial with st. Jude and while the trial was with the percutaneous leads the actual implant will be the paddle. I too didn't really have a super successful trial because of how senitive to positional changes it was, however I decided to go ahead with the actual implant because I was basicaly told this would be my only option right now and I did have good pain relief while sitting, just not so much walking or standing.
    Anyway, I am nervous as well about the whole scaring in thing, but I figure if it will spare me having to have a huge fusion for even a couple years I will be happy. I am a bit worried about the surgery it self, and the fact that this SCS is really a "band aid" which is only masking the issue by blocking the pain and not fixing any problems. I am also now having numbness in my right butt amd upper leg that my surgeon is 'watching' but it makes me feel like my buldges and/or scarring are now impeading on my nerves.
    I have posted other stuff with no response so maybe I will get something here.