Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having L5/S1 Microdiscectomy Tomorrow

After dealing with this horrific pain for 8 months now and trying all the conservative options, I'm finally going for the surgery... I sure hope this will do the trick for me. My main concerns are that the right side has also started hurting in the butt cheek and just starting down the leg. Can they switch and do a bilateral or would it all have to be rescheduled?!

My other concern is the doctor put down "Laminectomy" for the surgery type and I called and spoke with his nurse who assured me that's just the terminology they use... Does this sound right?! I'm definitely going to speak with him or his assistant before the surgery tomorrow to make sure... Would a laminectomy be way more involved than the microdiscectomy?

Scared, nervous, excited, and hopefully relieved...

Herniated discs at L4/L5 and L5/S1
Severe sciatica and radiculopathy since May 2014

• Hope you're well.
    L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.
  • Doctor said everything went well but I haven't talked to him yet - he spoke with my husband...

I had NO leg pain or tingling and no butt pain all night - just a lot of pain from the surgery area. However this morning I'm feeling a little sciatica pain and tingling in my left leg :(

I hope this isn't a bad sign...
    Herniated discs at L4/L5 and L5/S1
    Severe sciatica and radiculopathy since May 2014