Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Right hand numbness

edited 01/13/2015 - 5:50 AM in Scoliosis
I've experienced this problems for about 8 months now, when i'm sitting or standing naturally, like, not forcing myself to have a good posture, i'm all fine, but soon after i decide to stand with my back straight and my shoulders back and my hands down, i feel numbness in my right arm and hand, and it gets worse and worse unless i go back to my normal posture. ( the posture which i want to improve, but this problem doesn't let me to). i also feel a kind of pain in the elbow area, just the inside part, (i dont know what's it called sorry) and in addition, my right hand becomes blue, and when i compere it with me left hand, there's a huge difference in color. The reason i'm posting this in scoliosis section is that i have an S shape scoliosis and my doctor associated my problem with either that, or that i have unstable neck segment. i started doing the exercises for scoliosis + neck stretches, the instructor told me my problem would go away after 3 days of exercising. i finished 1 month course and no result. i was advised to start swimming, which i did. not sure if it helps anything. Can you come up with any different causes or treatments, and what if i'm not able to treat this problem? will it lead to anything more serious ?
I'm 16, if you need to know.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • well your nerves are messed up because you're crooked. I was like this before i had surgery and I was in pain almost always . I had surgery less than a month ago and I would reccomend it to anyone . it was so easy . 6 night hospital stay but now I'm driving and off pain medicine and doing what I want . I am not suppose to bend or lift heavy things until a few more weeks have passed but I've kinda broken the bending rule lol. I feel so normal . I have 2 rods and 22 screws but I can't tell anymore. if it's bothering you this bad you should talk to a doctor and it Will get worse as you get older . I found my scoliosis when I was 15 and it was a 31 degree curve and when I had surgery last month when I was 17 it was a 41. big difference . celebrated my 18th birthday normally and have been off pain medicines for a couple of weeks . I don't take any medicine at all now not even over the counter. if you do decide to have surgery you have two options : a neurosurgeon or an orthopedic surgeon . mine was a Neuro surgeon and since your nerves are the way they are you may want one too if you have surgery . good luck !
    17 years old :) 2 rods. 22 screws . t1-s2. fusion. butttttt im happy :)
    surgery on 12/17/2014
  • what? my scoliosis doesn't bother me so much that i'd undergo surgery, no way. it's just my hand, i don't have any back pain or something. i've already visited like 4 doctors, none of them ever mentioned surgery, shouldn't it be treated with exercise only? I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT COMPLETELY STRAIGHTENING MY SPINE, I'M TALKING ABOUT GETTING RID OF THIS HAND NUMBNESS AND COLOR CHANGING.