Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical disc bulge

shez1325sshez1325 Posts: 49
edited 01/17/2015 - 12:57 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all. I joined this forum recently because of my own back issue however am wanting some insight into my fiancee s condition.My partner had a accident which left him with bulging disc in his neck , forgive me off hand I do not want to state the wrong level. the neck issue went undiagnosed for over a year. He now goes to physio for his neck.

He has been havi I am wondering how much of his headaches could be contributed from the disc bulge in his neck. Has anyone experienced this.

Also if anyone could share there story on recovery from a cervical disc bulge. I am recovering from surgery for a lumber disc protrusion so am guessing I'm picturing the worst for him at this stage!

These issues which I am asking for your insight on have been discussed with his treating medical professionals.

• I have a single cervical herniated disc right now at C6. I wear a soft cervical collar a lot to let my neck rest. I do get headaches. I'm still in the conservative mode deciding what to do after a emg tomorrow..
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • I have a bulging disc at c4-c5, and I have constant headaches. Pain management dr says if we can fix the back problem, it with hopefully fix headaches as well. Hang in there!
  • Thanks for your comments.
  • I have herniated disc at C4/5 and bulge disc at C5/6. I used to get debilitating headaches. The physical therapy has helped with the headaches a lot. I highly recommend he start there. Unfortunately it hasn't gotten rid of my symptims, just helped them, but I've gone from getting 4 debilitating headaches a week to 1 every 10 days and the rest are plain old headaches that I don't feel I have to take any meds for. So huge improvement.
  • mathgeekmmathgeek Posts: 5
    edited 02/21/2015 - 1:02 PM
    I have 3 bulges and two tears in my neck. I had a lot of success with inflatable cervical traction device. A cheap foam collar helps when I re-injure.
  • A cervical traction device will cause more pain when you use it but it was more muscle pain. Usually I would use for week everyday for 30 mins, next week stop using it and by week three it was feeling much better. The second week my neck did feel worse but by the third week it was doing much better.

Talk to your doctor or PT. You should be able to get PT that will do cervical traction and they can show you how to do it correctly.

It will take time to get better and will sometimes hurt.

Reading these comments, now I know what might causing so many headaches. A good migraine medicine is what I use.
  • BlessedMom74BBlessedMom74 Posts: 322
    edited 02/25/2015 - 8:43 AM
    I found traction helped me a lot in the beginning. I could only tolerate 15 mins max. I can't imagine doing 30 mins! Now for some reason traction brings on a headache so I have stopped doing it. If you're going to try it, do it under the supervision of your PT and start slow. Don't over do it! I agree, it can be very helpful for disc bulges. The concept is, if you make room for the disc to relocate, it will.
  • I had issues for 3.5 yrs with my neck and shoulders. My neck would hurt so much that it went up into my head. I would have a headache daily. I had surgery in September for the neck issues and from the nerve degradation I have horrid headaches. I am taking all sorts of meds to combat the nerve issues and the headaches and going to physical therapy. Most of the issues is the suboccipital nerves in my upper neck at the C2/C3 area. That is above the fused area. This area for me becomes inflamed from stress and from holding my head in certain positions and cold/hot packs or air directly on my neck. I went through a month of totally dehabilitating headaches in October and November of last year. Everything triggered it. I barely left home, much less bed. Now I try to do what I can to not trigger them daily.
    Tracie C