Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

imbalancement in back muscles

lbidnerllbidner Posts: 1
edited 01/14/2015 - 1:40 AM in Scoliosis
I've had scoliosis since birth I'm 24 years old now and I have an imbalancement in the muscle in my back. the whole left side of my back has muscle built up, but the right side has nearly no muscle, my left side seems have been compensating so it has caused me a lot of pain and my left shoulder is really raised. I also get numbness in my hands when I raise them. a
Are there any exercises to strengthen the right side of my back so I can get things back in order? It's hard to find exercise that only focus on one side of the back. Thank you!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • that's how I am I just had surgery . when I use to do physical therapy they made Me lay on a bench on my belly and lift a weight with my weak arm and I had to lift it lots of different ways . that didn't help me but maybe it will help you. my curve was only a 41 but I was in horrible pain and now I've never been happier since surgery .
    17 years old :) 2 rods. 22 screws . t1-s2. fusion. butttttt im happy :)
    surgery on 12/17/2014
  • Lise MacdonellLLise Macdonell OttawaPosts: 4
    edited 02/02/2015 - 5:39 AM
  • I have a 32 degree curvature and was told i have extra muscle built up on my right side to compensate and support. So with out any luck with physiotherapy constantly stretching the opposite side i decided to start strengthening the side with extra muscle. I would have done anything to help my pain so i thought its there for support (so i was told) so lets help it support. I started targeting trapezius muscles evenly with a few extra reps on the muscular side . And very low weights. Started at 2.5 lbs. I still have very bad days but i recently went 2 months back pain free . I am 28 year old female and i somtimes cannot walk or sit. And my arms would go numb, It hurt to take a deep breath. I feel like i can live life now and when its very bad i do the weight lifting movments without weight at all and i get back to manageable pain faster. After i was having success my doctor said that strong muscles heal faster because they have good blood flow  . And even if it dosent help the pain the muscles will support my weak spine making my future back problems easier to work with .