Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Here's my story:
Two months ago, a driver driving a school bus was stopped behind me at a red light and when the light turned green he illegally tried to pass me on the left (the driver actually went on the wrong side of the street) to try to beat around me and go straight but instead he crashed into the driver's side (my side) of my vehicle. There was more than $6,000 damage to my vehicle. He must have been going very fast off the light because it happened so quickly that I didn't see him until he hit into me.
My ortho doctor seemed puzzled yesterday when I told him I am still having (and it is increasing) pain in both feet but more severe in my right foot.
After my visit I started to wonder what is causing this pain, numbness, weakness, throbbing and burning primarily in my feet. I also have the same symptoms in my calves but to a lesser degree. Having constant moderate to severe pain and difficulty in walking, going down steps is particularly painful, going up steps is uncomfortable too. Last night I looked closely at my MRI reports of my cervical spine, thoracic spine, lumbar spine and shoulder, the most obvious possible cause seemed to be loss of lumbar lordosis. I was wondering is anyone here is familiar with loss of lumbar lordosis and has had similar problems mostly in their feet?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 01/15/2015 - 8:48 PM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi

I have had the same symptoms of foot and, to a lesser extent, leg pain for the past 4+ months. After MRI scans and examinations by spinal orthopaedic consultant the diagnosis is L5 nerve root compression/irritation. Initially I was told that it should heal within 4 to 6 weeks and to manage the pain with anti-inflammatory, and normal pain relief medication plus medication which used to be used for psychiatric conditions like depression and epilepsy (Amitripylene and Gabapentin). Since then I have also been prescribed Diazepam and Morphine Sulphate to help me get some pain-free sleep. I have also had a cortisone injection into the L5 nerve root area. For the past 2 months the severity and duration of the pain has decreased to manageable levels but has not been completely eradicated. I have been offered an operation to decompress the nerve root but this has risks associated with the operation so I am waiting to see if the pain does eventually disappear completely.

I too have loss of lumbar lordosis but this, in itself, does not cause the nerve root compression. Loss of lordosis just means that the lumbar area is not as good as it could be for absorbing loads and forces on the spine. In my case I also have degenerative disc disease (DDD) where the discs lose some of their elasticity and shape which reduces the clearance areas where the nerve roots exit the spine. DDD also means that the spine is more susceptible to forces and shocks in the same way as loss of lordosis.