Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

LOL - My Back Pain Is Much Worse Since I Lost The Weight!

Hi. I recently lost the extra almost 50 pounds that I had been carrying around for 16 years. Well, I never had much back pain in all those years, but now I do. Trying to figure out if it has anything to do with the exercising that I do. I do have arthritis and degenerative disc disease in my spine, with a couple of the lumbar discs not looking as good as they used to. All the pain is on the left side, and does radiate to my butt and back of the thigh.

I sure wish I had never put on or kept on the weight, since it probably contributed to my current situation.

• I recently lost over 100 lbs hoping that it would really help by spine along with other medical issues. The good news my diabetes, high cholesterol and kidney disease is all in remission!

The bad news is my spine is worse than ever and next week Wednesday I am having a 3 level cervical fusion C4 - C7 with a Corpectomy in C5. I had my L5 S1 fused in 2001 and gained a lot of weight after that. It took almost 5 years before the pain in my leg and back improved.

When I met with my surgeon he said a lot of people that lose a lot of weight actually end up with a lot more pain and issues. Some of it is because they are able to be much more active but also your spine actually gets used to that weight and when it drops off you become less stable. The weight causes damage but getting rid of it just makes that damage more prominent.
    Since losing my weight, I have an absolute ton of pain in my neck, lower back, shoulder and running down my arm.

Hopefully this surgery will improve my situation. Over the last 7 months I have been exercising every other day for an hour a day and I really enjoy that time. I am worried this will really set me back but am bound and determined not to let it.
  • arabianhorseloveraarabianhorselover U.P. of MichiganPosts: 19
    Never saw your comment till now.  Sorry.  I hope that by now you are recovered from your surgery and feeling much better.  For the last three weeks my pain has been much worse for some reason.  Sciatic nerve pain going all the way down my leg.
  • LarnersourLLarnersour Los Angeles, CAPosts: 52
    I really hope that this is not a really frequent thing... i'm trying to lose weight so hard and this is really a bad news for me!
  • arabianhorseloveraarabianhorselover U.P. of MichiganPosts: 19
    I don't think you should worry about it.  In general it is best for people to lose excess weight.