Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

motelman99mmotelman99 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
dr is going to put me on (oxycontin hcl 5 mg).how good is this for pain?

• I'm not sure what mg I took, I think it was 5mg but it worked very well for my pain before surgery. Hope this helps but I'm sure there are others who know way more about it than I do as I only took it for a short time ;)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Most of the time when I have seen Oxycontin, its the ER (Extended Release) type. But HCL basically is the same.
    Here is some details:

OxyContin is an opioid agonist and a Schedule II controlled substance with an abuse liability similar to morphine.

Oxycodone can be abused in a manner similar to other opioid agonists, legal or illicit. This should be considered when prescribing or dispensing OxyContin in situations where the physician or pharmacist is concerned about an increased risk of misuse, abuse, or diversion.

OxyContin Tablets are a controlled-release oral formulation of oxycodone hydrochloride indicated for the management of moderate to severe pain when a continuous, around-the-clock analgesic is needed for an extended period of time.

OxyContin Tablets are NOT intended for use as a prn analgesic.

OxyContin 80 mg and 160 mg Tablets ARE FOR USE IN OPIOID-TOLERANT PATIENTS ONLY. These tablet strengths may cause fatal respiratory depression when administered to patients not previously exposed to opioids.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • There is no Oxycontin 5 mg - Oxycontin is the trade name for continuious release oxycodone, hence the "contin." It does not come in 5 mg. There is oxycodone hcl, which is the immediate release, and this comes in 5 mg, both capsules and tablets. This is essentially the same as Percocet, which also contains acetaminophin (APAP), also known to most as Tylenol- unless you are Europe, where it is called parcetamol. A lot of people think of Oxycontin and oxycodone being the same thing, especially those without experience in pain medications, but they aren't.
  • Oxycodone is the main ingredient in Oxycontin and percocet.
    Oxycontin is the brand name for the extended release form of oxycodone. Oxycontin is supposed to last for 12 hours,
    which lessens the ups and downs of blood plasma levels that come with shorter acting pain meds.
    Oxcodone IR is the immediate release form ,and contains no
    tylenol or paracetamol Rosetta Stone. You have that backwards hon, but a lot of people make that same mistake when it comes to oxycodone and Percocet.
    It is basically percocet without the tylenol if that makes it easier for someone to understand.
    As far as pain relief goes, most find it helps with the pain levels.
  • Oxycodone hcl 5mg is great for pain. They last for a couple (2-3 hours) and are not meant for constant pain relief. I used them for 4 months as a steup up from vicodin/Norco, and well, it worked. It's great, use it, but be careful; don't take more than prescribed. It'll make you nauseated if you take too much, and IS very addictive. It might take you a couple days to get used to it as well.

Dilauro, that info you posted is for 'Oxycontin ER' and is not relevant to motelman99. (i.e. the warnings about breaking/crushing tablets. His tablets DO release immediately, and ARE for use as prn, etc.)
  • No you read it wrong, I said that oxycodone hlc (IR) is essentially the same as percocet, which contains Tylenol - see it is confusing. :)
  • Iam taking Oxycodone HCL 5 mg. I take 2 every 6 hours. I think it works better for me than Oxycontin, extend release. I just switched as the oxycontin only provided 4 hours of pain relief. I got bad headaches when I first started to use it, but that has gone away. It provides good pain relief for me. Good Luck!
  • After surgery I was given 10mg of Oxycontin (slow release) twicw daily(%mg was not enough). As well as that I could have 2 x 5mg of Endone (same as oxycodone) every 4 hrs for breakthrough pain. I was also encouraged and needed to have it before therapy.
    Oh and I was also given 2 X paracetemol every 6 hrs.
    When I came home from hospital after having this for 3 1/2 weeks they gave me a 20 tablet supply of each and said time to cut down! :jawdrop:
    The oxycontin was good but as I was having PT and walking a lot it wasn't enough for me on its own and I had a big op.

I am going in search of a new supply of something tomorrow.

Hope that helps
  • I saw the rehab specalist this morning and he put me back on the oxycontin 10mg twice daily slow release and also gave me Endone/your percocet as needed for a top up.
    I feel so releived that I can have a good nights sleep.

Blessings Sara
  • Oxycodone is the narcotic agent.
    It comes in many stengths and is also combined with APAP and Ibuprofen. Percocet is the oxycodone with APAP and comes in strengths of 2.5 mg. 5 mg, 7.5 mg. and 10 mg. These all come in a generic form too. They each also come with different strengths of APAP some like the percocet come with 325 mgs and some like the 10 mg comes with 325 or 650 mgs. There is also something relatively new called Combunox and it is simply 5 mgs of oxycodone and 200 mgs of Ibuprofen. Now there is also oxycodone without any apap or ibuprofen in it at all and those are simply oxycodone tabs. Or we call them IR immediate release. There is a 5 mg a 15 mg a 20 mg and a 30 mg. The 20 mg oxy is only made by a couple of companies. So you see, it can be very confusing. All of these mind you are very good pain releif drugs. I would take a 5 mg oxy over a 10 mg hydro any day. The pain relief is a bit better and lasts alot longer. At least that's the way I see it.