Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi to everyone !!! Upcoming Laminoplasty C4 and C5. Need some input.

edited 01/16/2015 - 7:39 PM in New Member Introductions
Hi Everybody,

Wanted to introduce myself to everyone who is reading this. Name is Shehzad from Malaysia. I have cervical stenosis with myelopathy at C4-C5, C5-C6. I had consulted 2 Orthopedic surgeons and 1 Spine surgeon. Both the Orthopedic surgeons suggested to do an ACDF at C4-C5 region. The Spine surgeon says lets go with the simpler posterior laminoplasty for I believe is C5 and C6 area. Laminoplasty seems to be the better option and I decided to go for it.

The main thing that I wanted to know are the opinions of those who have gone through this procedure and may offer me some of the do's and dont's post operation. What should I expect? The other major worry of mine is c5 palsy. Is there anything that the surgeon or I can do to avoid this condition or is it really as mysterious as what I can seem to find in the web.

Any inputs will be most grateful. Trying hard not to have cold feet when the time comes.

Thanks a heap.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 01/16/2015 - 7:51 PM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi Liz,
    Thanks for the link. I am more interested in those of our members who have had laminoplasty and their journey to recovery with some do's and dont's.

The other issue that I am concerned is C% palsy and wondered if it has a very high incidence.

Any feedback will be most appreciated.

• Sorry, C5 palsy, I had meant.
  • How old are you? How severe are the symptoms?
    I originally was given a choice between anterior or posterior surgery for CM, by my first opinion. My second opinion said ACDF, hands down. In research after the fact (mine was urgent surgery), posterior would've been contraindicated for me because of my age, the anterior compression, and my spine curve. I was a bit happy on this, since everyone says the posterior surgery is way more painful!
    I can't comment on the laminoplasty, but the ACDF was way less painful than I expected. Recovery has been rough, but that's the CM component of it, and part of the disease. If you search around, there's quite a few threads on your preferred surgery, recovery etc. I don't think the C5 palsy has a high incidence, but make sure you get an experienced surgeon!
    Good luck!

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• Hi, I'm a 54 yrs old and very, very active and I think I hurt my neck thru sport injury. I'm a golf nut you see and I play it with a passion. I have compressed C4,5,6. It was diagnosed 2008 and it was just some intermittent arm pain, no tingling or numbness on my right fingers and hand. Now 8 yrs later, tingling and numbness more pronounced and being awaken rudely by burning and pain in my right arm like someone is setting a torch to it. My neurosurgeon is conservative, wants me to have 20 sessions of neck decompression and PT but since I'm an RN, i know some treatments are all but palliative. My eldest sister, an MD is more concerned about incurring more damage as the days go by but she too is fearful of a potential failed rehab post op. I don't know what else to do, I'm caught between damn if you do and damn if you don't have surgery kind of thinking. I really truly love golf and I always jokingly told my neuro, if i can't play anymore just shoot me! The postings I have read regarding post op experiences are really not encouraging. I don't want to take more pain killers, I'm a dialysis RN and that last thing I want is a damaged kidney. I don't know what I want to read here but I"m just venting out.
  • Hi to everyone. Just to update all following this thread. Laminoplasty had to be postponed as they found that I have some cardiovascular problems and may have complications during anesthesia. have just been doing cervical traction but the condition seems to have degenerated slightly. A short walk can make my legs feel a ton. No painkillers, only taking methylcobal for the nerves. My surgeon did mention that laminoplasty can be very painful. In this period, I have heard of many successful laminoplasty operations that he's done. That's a positive. :) Hope that it doesn't get too bad till I am able to have the op.

Thanks everyone. Keep sharing.
  • Sorry, must add that cervical traction does help to give a fair amount of relief even though it's short lived.