Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Multiple Fusions, has anyone had them?

Monica19612MMonica19612 Posts: 3
edited 01/18/2015 - 4:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm having my 3rd fusion in 30 years. Ten years between first and second, 20 years since my second surgery. I am going to be fused from T10 down to L5, then also my pelvis. They want to do my neck also, but it is too dangerous to do all at one time. Has anyone out there had so many levels done at once? I have read about muliple fusions, but they seem stop at 3 levels. I am extremely scared and wondering how long I will "be down" from this one. I know it actually takes about 2 years for full recovery, I'm wodering about the post surgical time. The others were ao about 3 months of severe restrictions, body cast, braces etc. This time I am told no cast or brace. I will be having hardware installed thru my whole spine, I have plates and screws in my second fusion now. Anyone that can give me any advice? thanks.
Monica m. Cochran

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • 1028761102876 Posts: 248
    edited 01/18/2015 - 5:23 PM
    Have you gotten any second opinions?
  • I was fused at L4-L5 3 years ago due to severe stenosis. I was fine for a couple years and then began to lose strength and have numbness in both feet and ankles. I went to 2 surgeons, one ortho and the other neuro and they both said the same thing, my back was a mess with severe stenosis and it would take multiple fusions to fix. I went with the neuro surgeon and got fused at 7 more levels so I am now fused from T10 to S1. Surgery was done through the front and back. I was more concerned about the front but have had little pain and th incision was done at the fold in my stomach and is not noticeable. I got 45 staples down the back but again mot very noticeable. There was no back brace required. The surgery was rough but feeling much better now it has been a few weeks. My doctor says I should be as active as I want by spring. All in all everything was much better than I expected. Let me know if I can help you with any concerns you have.