Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

doctor's can't tell me why i'm having headaches/ neck stiffness

health notes:

usually wake up once or twice throughout the night with headache (headache doesn't seem to cause the waking up). while getting out of bed, my neck, and upper back are extremely stiff. a dull headache is always present. after moving around a little and stretching, i become less stiff, but the headache is still in upper shoulders, neck, back of head, and wraps up and around to my eyes. i can turn my head further to the left (and easier), than i can turning my head to the right. if i try to correct my posture by pushing shoulders back and dropping them, i get pain "under," and around my right shoulder blade area. headache usually lasts all day long with the mornings and nights being the worst. mid day is usually the best with all symptoms. i try to sleep on my back with a smaller pillow. i usually end up on my side, but i've managed to go the whole night on my back and the same symptoms come either way. if i try putting my chin to my chest or shrugging shoulders up high, i feel i stiffness in my upper spine. i also have an area to the left of my spine around c6 or c7 that hurts really bad if i lightly pinch the skin next to it. sensation isn't the greatest around this area either. left side of spine is completely fine, and i have no pain when lightly pinching skin.

i've had multiple MRI's on my brain and cervical neck. MRI showed a spot on my brain, but the doctor said that is wasn't cancer related or linked to MS. she isn't concerned about it (doesn't mean that i'm not). MRI of the cervical neck showed that i have bulging disks, but the doctor said that the pain and symptoms i'm having aren't related.

i've tried taking magnesium, muscle relaxer, chiropractic, massages, posture pump, ibuprofen, tylenol, exercising, and i'm currently eating "healthy."

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,807
    Haha posture pump I used to use that. IF Drs u are seeing can't figure out might be time to move on see another more specialized dr. Docs can def miss things so can MRI, you see it all the time . Keep pushing for diagnosis
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • I was using one under the care of the chiropractor before I found out about my herniated disc at C5/C6. I read that it can further irritate a bulging or herniated disc. I had used it one night before bed and all the sudden I couldn't move below the neck for 15 minutes. I didn't use it again after that. Scared the crap out of me......
    Have you tried using a different kind of pillow? I have issues also with the stiffness. I went from a regular pillow to a contoured pillow with no relief. My chiropractor recommended the My Pillow brand pillow. Its expensive though. I am not convinced that it was worth the money for me because it didn't help me that much but I have other issues that keep me from getting comfortable while laying down. I got a free travel pillow with it and I end up using both of them together for more support in the neck and lay on my side. The My Pillow has foam interlocking blocks inside that allows you to shape it how it works best for you and then it holds its shape. You just have to throw it in the dryer with a damp rag here and there to almost "recharge" the fluffiness of it. I'm sure it works better for some than others.
    Tracie C