Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower back and rib cage pain, worse at night time?

miranduhx3mmiranduhx3 Posts: 1
edited 01/19/2015 - 1:20 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have had back problems for about 10 years now (I fell off a trampoline and landed right on my butt) but the pain just recently flared up. A couple years ago I went to the ER because my rib cage suddenly swelled up, it felt like a stabbing pain when I tried to take a breath and was very sensitive to touch. They sent me home with quite a diagnosis; "it's either muscular or skeletal." Anyway I've been having rib pain every day since then, and my back pain moves around, sometimes in my upper back and shoulders, and sometimes my lower back and tailbone. Its usually either an constant dull achy pain or a sudden sharp stabbing pain, and a couple times I've felt a tingling, almost like an electric pulse in the middle of my back, and it went numb for a few minutes.

The past 6 months since I've started my new job, my lower back and tailbone have made me miserable. I'm a blackjack dealer so I stand at a table for about an hour, and I'm short so I have to do a lot of leaning over the table. I get a dull pain in the whole lower half of my torso. I know it's my back that actually hurts, but I can feel it in front too, around my belly. I feel like I could get sick, but it happens every night. It's also about 10x worse at nighttime.

My rib pain has gotten so bad that I can no longer wear wire bras. I've started wearing sports bras and even they are too right on my rib area, it causes a lot of pain so I avoid wearing them at all. I take 20mg baclofen as needed, I've been taking two at night but they don't help much, more of a sleep aid than anything. I also use a TENS unit, which helps a little, and my heating pad, which I use every night. I can't fall asleep without it.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of pain and can help me figure out what it could be? None of the doctors in my area seem to care enough to try and help me so I don't know what else to do. I have looked a little into costocondritis and nerve damage, and the symptoms are similar to both. Otherwise I have no idea! Any comments are appreciated, thank you