Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Missing vertabrae

victoriastevvictoriaste Posts: 3
edited 01/19/2015 - 5:25 AM in Chronic Pain
2 years ago I was in the hospital with H1N1 and they did a ct scan of my lungs. The Dr. showed it to me and said lungs are fine but look at your back. I told him I know I have a bad back. He then showed me the scan and I am missing vertebrae in the Thoracic area. (The scan is my profile pic). Then, my back would go out every now and then but I would always recover. I showed the scan to my Dr and she said she would get back to me but never did. Well, now my back hurts every morning when I get up or even if I lay on the couch for a nap. It will get better after about 1/2 an hour after being upright. Since the prev dr never called me back or helped at all, I now have an appt with a new dr on March 16th. I'm 50 years old. Back has been a problem for about 10 years. I've have looked every where to see what happens when there are missing/crushed vertebrae and just wondering if any one else has had similar problems with their back. Not looking for diagnosis of course. Just if any one else has had this problem. I can't wait to see the dr I'm so happy finally going to see some one about it.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I dont know what they do about missing vertebrae but for crushed vertebrae there is fusion surgery. I recently suffered a T6 burst fracture in September from a dirtbike accident. I came extremely close to being paralyzed as the bone pushed back towards my spinal cord. The spine is unstable with these types of injuries so they fuse a few vertebra together to stabilize everything. My profile picture to the left shows my fusion with the hardware. Thats looking straight at my back. Now its just a waiting game for the bone grafting to fuse solid. Best of luck to you, hope your new doc gets things figured out and gets you on the path to healing.
    September 2014 : T6 burst fracture, multilevel fusion from T4-T8
  • hun i have same problem mostly after laying down for a while. i am missing a lower lumbar vertabre, (also have an extra rib) i know the odds are astounding, but i just cope with pain meds.