Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5-6 Laminotomy/Foraminotomy Please help !

I have been a long time lurker here reading post after post, but this will be my first posting of my own personal questions. I have a natural tendancy to not trust everything a doctor has to say since these surgeons are basically salesmen at times and will try and convince you into just about anything. I had surgery 6 weeks ago at the Laser Spine Institute for stenosis at C5-6. They went posterior with the minimally invasive technique which supposedly just pulls the muscles out of the way with progressively larger dialating tubes as opposed to cutting the muscles. I went in for surgery because for the past 4 years I have had a very achy neck at the base of the skull and especially tight muscles that would never let up even after extensive massage and chiropractic. I finally got an MRI which showed pretty bad stenosis on C5-6 and a small buldge at c3-4. The neurosurgeon said that my issue was not c3-4 since the nerve wasn't being trapped but C5-6 was definitely pinched a bit. My questions are this. I have looked everywhere and not once have I seen my symptoms for C5-6 and every one of the nurses kept asking me if my numbness of my arms went away. I never had numbness in my arms. It was all muscular and pain at the base of my skull. Can a pinched nerve cause just localized pain at the area? Can it also cause my traps from being incapable from really releasing causing me all these weird sensations of slight dizziness , sudden onset of head pressure , etc. My symptoms all seem to stem from a muscular problem, however nothing would work and the Dr. told me that it's because of the unhealthy nerve which is sending out problem signals to the muscles. I had the surgery Dec. 9th 2014 and its been 6 weeks. I feel pretty much the same , though the doctor says that is because there is still tons of inflammation. I suppose I am still somewhat early in my recovery still. I just finished a Medrol dose pack and felt amazing , but now that it is over the problems are coming back once again. Tomorrow I go to see a physical therapist and hopefully get a massage or have them release my muscles. I just hope they don't spasm back up again. Muscle relaxers don't work at all for me sadly. Has anyone else had any experience even remotely similar , especially with a positive outcome. Reading these forums sometimes makes me feel like its hopeless since so many don't seem to get better. I am young at 34 so I am hoping that this will help somewhat in the grand scheme of things. I just want to feel normal again. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated, I am at a loss and starting to feel a bit depressed about the entire ordeal. I was originally told by the nurse pre op that I would be back to doing my regular routine and feeling great by week 4. Now they are saying at least 12 weeks and full recovery could take up to 6 months.

• robrobt33rrobrobt33 MichiganPosts: 11
    edited 05/08/2015 - 12:22 PM
    I had a Laminectomy of C4, C5, C6 and C7 to remove a benign tumor on Feburary 20,2015. I'm still using 5mg vicodin 3 times a day for radiating pain from my upper neck area. I do use a lot of ice packs to help dull and cover the discomfort. I'm thinking that the pain may slowly dissipate over a 12 month period. I had a friend that had a very similar surgery and it was twelve months before he was basically pain free. I don't like it but there is hope of better days in the future.
    Best regards,