Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New and have a huge decision to make

tallulah73ttallulah73 Posts: 5
edited 01/20/2015 - 4:20 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
This is my first post here, I'm in a huge dilemma.
A quick back story. I began with back pain during summer 2013 which progressed to sciatica in my left leg around November 2013. Numerous trips to the doctor, pain killers, a hip xray but no real treatment. Then in March 2014 the pain switched to my right leg, with minimal back pain.Then summer 2014 I woke one day with numbness in my right leg and a delayed reaction to all movement. I went to the local walk in centre and was sent to emergency triage at the local hospital where i was referred for an MRI. My result showed a central herniation at L5/S1 with the herniation compressing both right and left nerve roots. I was then passed for pillar to post until I saw a neurosurgeon on 22nd Dec 2014 few weeks ago.
Now the thing is im booked in for surgery this coming Monday 22nd Jan but my sciatica has been improving since November and my back pain almost gone. I have no numbness now and can walk without any problems. I still have a cramping sensation when I stand from a sitting position and some pain down my right thigh especially when its cold.
I honestly don't know what to do!
Cancel the surgery and wait till I'm in agony again...?
Go ahead with the surgery and treat it as a preventative cure...?
I'm going insane trying to make a decision, one day I think yes I'll do it, the next its no and time is running out!
Sorry for the long post and thanks for taking the time to read x


  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

    Liz, Spine-health Moderator

    Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • The biggest misconception is that surgery will take ALL the pain away. This isn't always the case....

    Due to the fact that there is a herniation w/ compression, obviously your Surgeon wants to perform surgery for preventative reasons. This isn't going to go away on its own! Unfortunately, pain with these types of conditions/injuries result in a roller coaster effect. One week you'll be fine and the next, who knows.... I have been on this roller coaster now for over a year now.

    I would contact your NS or OS and let him or her know your concerns. If anyone has the RIGHT answer for you, it will be your Doctor!

    Best wishes on a full recovery if you decide to go ahead....

    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • Great advice, DH.

    Surgery is big and risky and If your symptoms are moving in the better direction, perhaps you can postpone the surgery? Talk to your surgeon. Maybe he has enough concern about your movement issues to want to operate as a preemptive measure. None of us can advise you, so it's best to talk to hom/her directly and lay out all the pros and cons.

    Good luck!
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • Can you request for a MRI scan to see if the compression condition has been eased.
  • You can do all of that, but that takes time. Today is the day. What was your decision?

    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
Sign In or Register to comment.