Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What would you do...

First off, let me say that this post seem quite ridiculous, but please humor me.
I'm 34 years old and have been experiencing lower back pain(left buttock+leg) for about 10 years, which seems to be caused(or aggravated)from careless weight lifting in my early twenties.
Nowadays, I stretch and work my core almost daily, with a program that was set up by a certified athletic therapist and I am contact with a very well respected osteopath. I eat well, with a diet high in flavonoids(anti-inflamatories) and try to sleep well too.
Now my predicament is that I haven't had a flare up in about a year, but I experienced one last week(Wednesday), and I'm finally feeling better today. No more spams, just a little sore and stiff. I have a California golf trip(3 days, 3 rounds) planned for this upcoming Saturday, which I've been insanely excited for. I live on the east coast, so I'm looking at a six hour flight to boot...I have an appointemnt for a 'tune up' with my osteopath on Thursday.
What would you guys do? I think it may be to early to attempt this trip, and I'm about 90% sure I will cancel.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    edited 01/20/2015 - 6:35 AM
    You are excited about going to this tournament and playing.

• - You have not identified any specific back or disc problem, so golfing may not be out of the question
      - Just being so excited about going and playing, might push you through any pain
    But, of course there is always a but..... the practical side:

• - Plane: Before we even get there, a 6 hour flight plays havoc for anyone with spinal problems.
      - Flare up: It might have subsided, but in only 3 weeks, it could come back to bite you
      - Tune up: assuming they do the right things to settle down your body that might help, but is it ready for golf?
      - 3 rounds: By nature Golf is not a natural game for anyone with back problems, the constant motion is not good.
    Now, for the real upper and downer. You play, you have a fatastic time, no pain, you go home happy as can be.... A real winner!
    Now, on the flip side, during round 2 you hurt something in your back, you play another a hole or two and cant do it anymore, you have to stop. You are sidelined for the rest of the tournament in lots of pain and just have to look forward to a 5 hour flight back home in pain.

I think we have all been at these crossroad. Perhaps not as extreme as yours is right now.

My personal view., and which I have done in the past is Go for it. Risk the pain.

My practical side says, postpone until another year.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 525
    edited 01/20/2015 - 7:12 AM
    This is just me but if I were, as you say, feeling better I'd probably go and just hope I didn't flare back up. You say you have an appointment Thursday with your osteopath, see how you feel after that. If you feel you are not up to it at that point then cancel. I'm not sure how long or how grueling 3 rounds of golf is but it sounds like its a round a day, but I'm not sure how long a round is either. Maybe a golfer will chime in and give you some advice as to what to do.

If you continue to have problems with your back my advice to you would be to see your dr. and see if there is something going on....I know I have probably not been very helpful here, but like I said maybe someone who golfs can give you better advice ;-)

• Mike34MMike34 Posts: 6
    edited 02/02/2015 - 12:36 PM
    Well, I ended up missing my trip :(
    I finally received and MRI for lumber spine, and got the results today. I have a bluging disc at T11-T12, and 'Loss of lordosis at the lumbar spine' , which they believe is the source of my spams, and my episodes of back pain. Quite frankly, I'm extremely happy, as I was certain I had major herniation's or bulging discs in the L5/S1 area.
    Does anybody else have this issue?
  • Whats the fix Mike? I had a trip to Palm Springs last June. I had been diagnosed with a bad L5/S1 (fusion needed) I tool a back injection after the MRI and went ahead a week later with the golf trip to the Springs. Couldnt miss it as it has been a tradition among four great friends. What I can say is had a great time. We are all from the Pacific Northwest and the heat does a back good and the pool at the house we rented even better. So where am I at now? Recovering from a surgery and no Palm Springs for me this year.