Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PLIF L5-S1 What to Expect Day 1

Fuzzy1FFuzzy1 Posts: 6
edited 01/20/2015 - 7:59 AM in Recovering from Surgery
L5 - S1 Fusion - The First Day

I am a 59 year old male. My surgery was 12-9-14. I arrived at the hospital at 5:45 AM for a scheduled 7:15 surgery. I was prepped and met with the Anesthesiologist who informed me that after I was asleep, I would be intubated and a urinary catheter would be placed. She told me that the tube in my throat would be removed before I was allowed to wake up. I met with the surgeon who told me the operation would take 5 - 6 hours. I was wheeled into the OR at 7:00.
Surgery lasted until 11:30, and I was in the recovery room until 2:00. I was given a PCA pump on my IV line, and handed a button to hold. I was told that when the button was pressed, I would be given a 1 Mg. dose of Morphine at a rate of no more than once every 6 minutes. I was encouraged to press the button as often as I could to keep the pain in check, that the pain was easier to prevent, than it was to control once it started.
I was pretty much out of it at first. It seemed like every time I would start to come around, the nurse would say push the button, push the button, push the button, to which I would answer, bwaaahgrrrhoooochiiimrooon! My wife taped it with her ipad and thought it was funny as hell!
At 4:00 PM, just 2 hours after returning to my room, the physical therapist came strolling in and thought it would be great fun if I got out of bed and did a little walking. I really didn’t want to, but somehow I managed to roll out of bed, and with the help of a walker, managed to walk about 50 yards!
Sign In or Register to comment.