Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovery Time for ACDF How long out of work?

mhugsmmhugs Posts: 59
edited 01/20/2015 - 2:02 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had surgery on C3-4-5 the summer of 2013. It was in the summer so I didn't have to take time off from work. I teach first grade and my surgery for C-6is scheduled for March 10th. My surgeon had me wait for 6 weeks before I could drive. First grade requires a lot of bending, reaching, moving and ENERGY. Wondering how much time I should ask for a sub-teacher. It is a small faith base school without a large sub pool to choose from. Need to give my principal time to locate someone to cover my class and extra duties. How long were you out of work and what type of work do you do?

• How many levels are you having this time? How did you do last time?
    I've read up a lot on this, since I had a 3 level with corpectomy. My doctor told me to ask for 6 weeks, but knowing me, I'd be back at 4. In the hospital, he mentioned that I might even do desk work at 2, since my surgery went so well.
    HA! I'm at 6 weeks now, and I still exhaust and get weak very easily. I am hoping I'll be okay in 2 weeks. I have a moderately active job, but can delegate a lot of my duties to other people. But the constant walking around is really going to be tough. I am also only going to go back at 2 hours/day for a week or two, realizing I have 2 hours driving/day.
    Point is - who knows?! You can predict and guess, but ultimately you don't know til it happens. (and how extensive your surgery is)

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• It is really up to the doctor and how well you feel after surgery. I am betting that you could be off closer to the 12 week mark. I was off for 12 weeks. I work in a factory as a quality technician. I am constantly lifting, running from one end of the plant to another, reaching high, climbing ladders and all that physical stuff. I wouldn't have been able to go back earlier.
    Tracie C
  • Having been a teacher, I know the demands you are going back to. There is no way 6 weeks will do it if you want to recover and give your students the best they can get from 1st grade a pivotal period in their education. You will not be able to respond to the immediate quick pace Eyes in the back of your head way you have to be In 1st grade. Just trying to write on the top of a white board, chalk board, Smartboard will hurt your recovery because you are reaching and looking up at the same time. You will not be able to quickly look down and around as little Billy is poking Michael. Your students will be appreciative of your early return, as will your principal, but your body will not. I took 8 weeks off, but I was very very sorry that I did not take more. When is your school year over? I live in the south and we are done Memorial Day. I had a two level ACDF C5-7 and if you can take the rest of the year, but at least 12 weeks or 10 weeks with 1/2 days after that. If you can come back sooner based on your experience then you have that option.