Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post op surgery pain

sharonlynn212ssharonlynn212 Posts: 1
edited 01/21/2015 - 1:14 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had surgery to stabilize my lumbar spine to my pelvis called a pelvic fixation. I fractured a bone at the base of my spine. I am a failed back surgery to correct spondylolothesis. I have lost almost 4 inches in my height. My entire lumbar spine has been fused since 2005.
The surgery I had was done in April of 2014. I also had a decompression of bony spurs and scar tissue that were compressing the nerves at the facet joints at 2 levels, L4-L5 and L5-S1. I sustained a nerve injury that caused a second dropped foot on my left side and severe sciatica.
My pain was very severe for almost 4 months. I am just giving a brief history of my issues that have been on going with my neck and lower back for a long time. About 2 months from the surgery I was able to walk with my walker to the community pool. I had always swam before the surgery, breast stroke and side stroke but found out I was unable to swim. The only movement I could do was march in place very slowly with a noodle. I progressed to doing different exercises in the pool that strengthened my core muscles. Doing a crunch motion with the noodle under my arms to support me and then going into a pelvic tilt. It hurt like hek to do this for months but then I began to improve.
My message is to anyone that fails PT with severe sciatica which I did. No one could touch me without causing a severe bout of spasms. My message is get into a pool! About 5 months from surgery my pain doc began to do epideral steroid injections at the site of my nerve injury which we determined was the L5-S1. I responded! I have never responded to these injections when I was going through herniated discs before I had surgery. I just had my 3rd injection and I can have one every 3 months. The 3rd one was not as beneficial. I think I am getting scar tissue back. I will not have scar tissue removed again! I will find other ways to deal with it. I do a lot of stretching for this nerve injury.
I am 59 years old and all of this started when I was 46. I wish I had held out and endured the pain from herniated multiple discs at the same time but off to surgery I went and yes I did get relief. It is down the road you do start a cycle of bone spurring and scar tissue compressing nerves at the facet joints. If I develop a bone spur then surgery would be helpful but at this stage of game for me peeling away scar tissue is more risk for nerve injury.
I traded my cane in for a walker. My walker can hold almost 6 bags of groceries. All I can say is move it or lose it. My independence is very important to me as I am widowed and do not want to depend on my daughter who now has 3 children 4, 2 and 6 months. Just this month I found out I can swim again but with the aid of a noodle!
Sharon McGurk

• My name is Sandy and I recently had back surgery on 1-5-15. I had DDD,herniated disk, spinal stenosis, scoliosis and bone spurs. I had a lumbar fusion at L4-5&L5-S1. I have horrific pain in my hips,legs,&feet. I am on pain meds & muscle relaxers but the pain is unbearable at times and if I sleep for an hour I consider that a blessing. Does anyone else have these symptoms?
  • Mine was a neck surgery. I had moderate central stenosis and a pinched nerve. I had horrid hip/leg and butt pain and blamed stenosis, but it ended up being a side effect of gabapentin. not sure if you are on that drug? After a few months of taking it, I started getting those symptoms and crawled to the pain pills every morning. It was bad. It can cause an altered gait, myalgia and arthralgia. I even got an injection in my hip! I weaned off the drug and all that pain vanished! On lyrica now and have the same side effects at 300mg per day, so I am staying at 250mg. and am fine. I just thought I would mention it just incase!! Hope you find relief. This nerve pain is brutal. Both of my arms are still angry after 8 months. It gets very old. Best wishes!