Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 Hip, groin, leg pain

I've been in worsening pain for over 6 months. MRI/Xrays normal, bounced from Ortho to Ortho, seen spine docs, etc. Have had 7 nerve block/steroid injections (2 Hip, L1/L2, L2/L3, L3/L4, L4/L5, SI) and nothing has worked. Until recently pain management docs have no clue and wont prescribe anything because there is no diagnosis. Last appointment I heard the doctor say "how did they miss that" when looking at my MRI with a nurse. He has scheduled a S1 nerve block and said something about a spur and impingement.

I must say I am frustrated and not confident this will work. From what I researched I thought the L5/S1 did not impact the groin ( a lot of my pain is there). I can hardly walk and do so with a limp. Work is almost impossible. Has anyone has groin pain with an S1 impingement?

Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• Hi there- I have similar pain to what you've described and wondering how you're doing now. Any relief? I recently had a nerve conduction study/EMG done and it showed s1 nerve root irritation. However, I do have pain in my groin and hip which is not characteristic of s1. Furthermore, I had a nerve block performed at s1 a week ago and it didn't help at all. Makes me wonder if something more is happening.
    *Denise* Over 2 years of chronic pain in right hip, buttock, lower back, and sometimes leg/foot. No definitive diagnoses for my sciatica despite numerous MRI's. Underwent arthroscopic labral repair surgery in 12/2015 which did not alleviate any pain. Trying to live a normal life!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    Part of my spinal issue is L5-S1.............. ( you can tap on my user name to see what all is going on with me )

I have right sided groin pain regularly. It's not continual, but when that pain is not present, I notice it.
    When I mentioned the pain to my PM doc, he spoke as if to himself out loud, about which part of my spine was source.
    We did nothing about it...and it is something I can live..at this time. Previous epidurals for that area ineffective.

In my , about six or seven years with PM, I had about 12 epidurals with only two effective. They were for leg and ankle and foot pain. But you never know.....what doesn't work for some is effective to others. Try and ......try again.

That's too bad about doctor delay in finding your S1 issue.
    Again showing that these tests...MRIs are tools for doctor. Some doctors are better..more experienced at reading them than others. It's good your doctor to admit he missed it. But now he try to address issue quickly.

You may be interested in looking at the ...dermatrome map on this site. It helps to show which part of the spine effects which part of the body.

I too have painful walking and my walking is more than a limp...it like some sort of contorted position my body tries to find for pain relief. I don't know which particular part of my spine responsible for that.
    Years ago, I started using a cane. Immediate lessening of pain, standing more upright....a little miracle worker.

Good luck with your nerve block!

Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• ClaudiaPACClaudiaPA Posts: 3
    edited 06/11/2015 - 11:53 AM
    My husband had/has severe groin pain at times. He had a impingement of the L5-S1 Nerve root. Laminectomy /Discectomy preformed. Then was labeled with failed back surgery syndrome. HE went through several different injections and shots, with no relief.. Had a spinal cord stimulator implanted, and that helped him to walk again. And then just 2 1/2 years ago he had a fusion, and disk replacements of L4, L5, Now the farther we get away from the surgery date the pain is getting worse and so is the foot drop. We just had xrays done today to see if the bone is ok in there,, It is a very very frustrating long road. But yes to clarify He does get the nerve pain in the groin.