Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi everyone, 10 years of headaces!

swampersswamper Posts: 2
edited 01/21/2015 - 1:12 PM in New Member Introductions
I have been though the gauntlet of doctors since 2004 to try and find out what is causing my head(aches)pain. It started with a feeling of weight on the bridge of my nose and pressure behind my eyes with my eyes feeling like they are dry and irritated, then gets worse and the day goes on until I can't turn my head to look behind me (stiff neck) and the top of my scalp is extremely sensitive to touch. I usually feel good when I awake with the symptoms starting 4 hours later and building until I can't take it and have to lay down for a while, which helps some. From the get go the first doctor put me on cymbalta, which did nothing and when I went back for my follow up appointment I told him ice on my neck seemed to help. He told me there are no nerves in the scalp and prescribed me nortryptline which I did not fill. after suffering for another couple years, the next doctor I saw did the same thing, prescribing paxil, which I tried with no result, then he tried fiorinel, then feriocet, with no luck and gave up on me! The next doctor was a psychiatrist and this started my 6 year long misery of every kind antidepressant along with diazepam ( I just passed 1 month off of it, and it was hell!), I was also seeing a pain management doctor who tried every brand of muscle relaxer to no avail and finally opiod pain meds, which helped, but I stopped them 3 months ago also (never again!) I am to the point now that my life is not worth living like this much longer. I have no life, I cannot work and I am struggling to stay in school while praying for the next doctor I see to find out what is causing this living hell. I am a veteran and the VA healthcare (all I now have) has been extreamly unhelpful. I did see a chiropractor in the beginning and had neck adjustments with no help, and now have seen the VA chiropractor 3 times ( once a month), where she explained to me about how the muscles in my neck and upper back can cause this pain to spread through the muscles in the scalp, but offerd no help but neck adjustments 1 time a month, knowing what I have been through and continue to go through! There is a lot more to this story as it has been a 10 year ordeal and I am sure there is a lot of details missing here, but if anyone has any idea of what I am going through or who I should see besides pill pushers, please let me know.

• Have you had a MRI of your cervical spine to see if there is disc problems causing nerve compression, possibly causing your headaches?? The symptoms you describe, weight on the bridge of your nose, pressure behind your eyes, dry and irritated eyes makes me think of sinus, have you ever been checked for chronic sinus problems?

Have you ever had acupuncture for your headaches? If so, any good results from that?

Lastly, but most definitely not least, Thank you for serving our country!!!
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,806
    Are antidepressants typical to treat chronic headaches?
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Anti-depressants are sometimes used to treat chronic headaches. I have heard of Elavil/Amytriptyline, wellabutrin and Lexapro being prescribed to treat them.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,806
    Never knew that thanks
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Some of the migraine meds used to treat or prevent migraine headaches include antidepressants, anticonvulsants, antihistamines, and narcotic pain relievers...Migraine meds fall into two major categories. Drugs which abort or stop migraines from progressing once they begin. The earlier these drugs are used in a migraine attack, the better they work. The 2nd category contains drugs which prevent migraines from happening.

Unfortunately, it's a process of elimination when it comes to these medications. I know because my wife suffers from massive migraines and it took her trying many different meds until she found the one that worked.

Don't give up hope on the meds. I think your answer lies in that. You simply have to figure out which one works for you...

Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • I have had an MRI and it showed nothing for the cause of my head pain, but they did discover a facial nerve schwannoma on my left 7th facial nerve, oh boy! I had a cervical CT scan that apparently showed no reason for the the pain, but I will be taking those results to my physical therapy appointment next week as the chiropractor I had seen in the beginning did say my neck was straight instead of having the proper curvature. No other doctors had mentioned that since. i have been on 8 different antidepressants at therapeutic levels for at least three months each with no results except weight gain and mood changes, 6 different muscle relaxers up to and including valium with no results, 8 different kinds of anti-inflammatories, vioxx and celebrex included with no benefit, 4 antirheumetics, anti-seizures lamictal and gabapentin, and the beta blocker propraolol with no results. I am sure I am missing some meds, but I have had enough of the pills. I believe it is time for some medical professional to do something different and figure out what is going on. Isn't 10 years and 5 months of suffering each and every day enough? Not to mention what all of these medications are doing to my body. I have asked numerous times to see a neurologist to no avail, the doctors do not listen to me and instead jump to conclusions, i.e. your depressed, you have anxiety, its all in your head etc. The only thing that has helped is opioid pain medications, and I do not want to go down that road again. I am truly hoping the physical therapist will get to the bottom of this as I cannot bear to lose any more of my life to this. My 40s are gone, a whole decade of what should have been a better part of my life! This chronic pain has alienated me from my family, and friends, everyone thinks I am making this up. As most of you know this is the worst part of chronic pain, when these people in my life do not understand what I am going through, show no empathy whatsoever, and just brush me aside not wanting to be bothered with my "fake" problems. Frustrating!!! I am running on fumes.