Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Complications after Posterior Fusion C2-T3

I am 5 1/2 months post surgery (posterior C2-T3 fusion) and am still in significant pain. Went to the Neuro yesterday and instrumentation is all in place but he looked at the back of my neck and was surprised at the very deep indentation (caving in) of the back of my neck. He then ran his fingers down the back of my cervical/thoracic spine and said that unfortunately the muscles sewn together in the midline during surgery have completely separated (ripped through the sutures). He said he can go back in and sew them back together which MIGHT relieve much of my pain. Does anyone have a similar experience? WHat was the outcome? Trying to decide what to do. If chances are greater that it will bring relief than make things worse I am inclined to move forward with the surgery. I have been doing PT for last 4 weeks and although VERY gentle PT it is still very painful. Any help is appreciated.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I am 9 months post op of the same posterior fusion. My indentation is deep like yours but I do not have any pain. Like any surgery we all have different outcomes as we all heal differently. I have had many different episodes with the healing process and have tried to ignore them. In the end I have found out it was nothing to worry about.
    I won't advise you what to do but contacting your doctor like you have been is the logical answer. If it is possible do not be afraid to get a second opinion.
  • Ranger, did your surgeon say your muscles ripped through the sutures? Mine have apparently ripped the entire length of the incision. What did your surgeon say was the cause of your indentation?
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Being I had no major pain post-op or muscle atrophy, I believe my sutures stayed intact. As for the indentation, I have to believe it's the normal side effect of a major surgery of that magnitude. If your muscles will not recoup and you will suffer permanent damage you may want to discuss this with your surgeon to help you reach your decision.
    Wish you well,
  • Can anyone please help me for the pain in my neck muscles is most severe and they keep going into spasm mode. At long last after 2 painful years I am being sent for extensive physio on 4th February 2016. Lets hope that this takes away most of the pain for it is affecting my sleeping a great deal. Has anyone who has had a similar operation suffered from same pain but has now got rid of it? As I said months ago my operation has all fused very successfully.

What will happen if physio does not get rid of my pain!

Any advice will be most welcome.