Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Posterior Cervical Fusion C2-T3 Complication

I am 5 1/2 months post surgery (posterior C2-T3 fusion) and am still in significant pain. Went to the Neuro yesterday and instrumentation is all in place but he looked at the back of my neck and was surprised at the very deep indentation (caving in) of the back of my neck. He then ran his fingers down the back of my cervical/thoracic spine and said that unfortunately the muscles sewn together in the midline during surgery have completely separated (ripped through the sutures). He said he can go back in and sew them back together which MIGHT relieve much of my pain. Does anyone have a similar experience? What was the outcome? Trying to decide what to do. If chances are greater that it will bring relief than make things worse I am inclined to move forward with the surgery. I have been doing PT for last 4 weeks and although VERY gentle PT it is still very painful. Any help is appreciated.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Along with the huge dent I also have my hardware poking out, One rod sticks out so bad that you can see the color of the metal thru my skin, that is how close it is to coming out of the skin, Ive been looked at by 3 surgeons all saying nothing can be done,
  • Understand it is a difficult time for you. My blessings is with you.
  • AleeAAlee Posts: 1
    edited 07/19/2015 - 10:21 PM
    I also have c2 to t3 in 3and hlf years had 5 surgery 3 on back neck 2 on front first surgeon broke off 3 screws in back didn t tell me but answer your question the second surgery my new surgeon puled my muscles back to center that waß the best thing that I've had done I'm still not able to do much and still on disability and a lot and lots pain 3 and half years you are only one I've found has same surge4y as me

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
  • I ended up having the surgery to sew the muscles back together and that surgery was nearly as painful as the original (horrible!). The surgeon used thicker and more qty of interior sutures. The dent is back and the surgeon thinks it has at least partially ripped again. I'm not sure my pain improved from the wound revision surgery but it didn't get worse so that is good. Overall I am struggling as even with pretty high levels of medication I am in pain and extremely limited in what I can do. The medication helps me do the very basic things like go to work but I have the luxury of being able to recline in my office or go home and lay down when I need to. Some nights I can't make it to dinner with my wife and friends or must leave early to go lay down. My hopes of ever being able to do many things I used to do are quickly fading and I'm having a hard time dealing with that. Little things like going camping and hiking with my son or even sitting through my daughter cheering at football games just are not tolerable right now much less boating and snowmobiling.

Alee, how are you doing? Are you having to take a lot of medication to get through the day? I hope and pray for something that can be done in the future that will help us and others like us.
  • A good question to ask before this is the question, "What will occur if I do nothing" I asked this and was told my condition would continue to worsen, so I am planning on surgery (different from your situation, but I think still a valid question.) I also think you need to examine why this happened, so it doesn't again, if possible!

best wishes for a good outcome.