Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

minimally invasive surgery

saadmobeenssaadmobeen Posts: 3
edited 01/22/2015 - 10:26 PM in Recovering from Surgery
I had minimally invasive surgery on 11th dec 2015 and had herinated disc on L5 S1 for about 3 years now i have post op six weeks recently having this burning pain on my big toe just the big toe and when i take gabapentin 100mg i have very mild pain on shin. Can anyone with these symptoms or anyone tell me is this normal? Or have i re herinated the disc as i didn't twist or bend forward? I am kind of scared now so please let me know
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,904

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Your situation is similar to mine. I had two minimally invasive microdiscectomies and after the second one, I started having nerve pain (neuropathy) in my left foot. The top of my foot burned and was extremely sensitive to the touch...even a sheet brushing across it was excrutiating. My toes also felt painful and yet somewhat, but not completely numb. Occasionally I will get very sharp, take my breath away kind of stabbing pains in various parts of my foot.

It's all nerve pain related to the nerve being damaged. Mine may be permanent as I have had further surgeries and issues and the nerve pain hasn't changed at all. I had been on Gabapentin since May (so about 3 months prior to when the neuropathy in my foot began) and it was eventually bumped up to the highest dose (3600 mg./day). I still couldn't stand to have anything touch my foot. So the doctor switched me to Lyrica (after a fight with my insurance company) and now I take 100mg. two times a day and the pain is reasonably well controlled. It's never gone but I can stand to touch my foot and much of the burning pain is gone. I still get occasional stabbing and honestly, I probably could stand a higher dosage of Lyrica (I was on a slightly higher dose, but insurance denied it) and it was better.

You have a ton of room to increase the dose of Gabapentin, so I would start by talking to your doctor about that. Likely it's just the nerves refiring after being compressed, but if your nerves were compressed for 3 years, it's going to take quite a while for them to heal.
    Christina
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014
  • Thanks a lot for your input and sharing the information i needed to clear my head. And i just had a phone call from the doctor who carried out my op and he said don't worry carry on with your normal activities and has nerve was damage for so long it will take time mostly a year to properly heal and pain to go. But still worried why pain came after 6 weeks For 6 weeks i was great and then suddenly this burning pain started