Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 days after L5S1 Discectomy, pls tell me sciatica is normal

I have posted a couple of times since my surgery -- I was very lucky that I had very little pain from the surgery and my recovery has been rapid. maybe too rapid as I also posted that I worried that I overdid it. well, on day 6, I started feeling a bit of pain down my left leg (this is the one that I had the terrible sciatica in pre-surgery.) I told myself that it was probably due to the fact that I just finished a 6 day course of predinsone so the nerve swelling might be acting up. And the nature of the sciatica is different -- it's not caused by sitting (more from walking now) and it's not the same type of pain. This feels more like pulling and a bit of numbness instead of blinding nerve pain. But still...it seems to be increasing. I'm seeing the doctor for my follow-up and I have read enough posts here that seem to say that this is normal right after the surgery, but I'm freaking out a bit. This was my last resort and an expensive resort at that. Have any of you experienced this post op and had it resolve?

• shortfuse5691sshortfuse5691 Posts: 407
    edited 01/23/2015 - 4:20 PM
    It is too soon to tell, I'm sure after six days your activities should still be light and careful. Listen to your body and if something is painful lay in a position that reduces pain or eliminates pain. Your not healed yet!! There will be inflammation and scar tissue building up. As you heal it reduces...after my surgery I rested and took things slow and did walk a lot. You should probably be taking prescribed pain meds??? They were prescribed for a reason and should take as directed. My doctor told me back or neck surgery doesn't stop back and neck pain, only the limbs involved will be affected. My nerve pain in my limbs after surgery was worse until the nerve calmed down from surgery.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • I had major sciatic episode about seven weeks post l4&5 discectomy. Lasted about two weeks. I was never able to pinpoint what caused it. Unfortunately, I had other complications that led to a TliF shortly after sciatic episode. Talk to your doctor! Hope it gets better for you.
  • I'm 8 weeks out and didn't start feeling much relief until I started PT. The harder they work me, the less sciatic pain I have. PT is hard, but my abs and other muscles are slowly getting stronger and taking pressure off the nerve, which could take up to 2 years to regenerate. Best wishes for a strong recovery. Its slow and hard but does get better.
  • Hi everyone,
    I am new to the forum but desperately looking for support. I had surgery on my l5 s1 using a threaded cage procedure. The pain never really goes away since surgery and I find myself needing to stay on the meds non stop for relief. Recently in the past 2 days I have developed pain in my left hip/groin area down to about my knee. I'm scared this operation may not have worked. I cannot get comfortable at all. Has anyone experienced this? It's so hard not to get discouraged. Thanks for any advice you can offer.