Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 days post op microdiscectomy- Cant move my leg...

Hi guys,

I am an active 22 year old guy who had a microdiscectomy surgery on Thursday for a L3/4 nerve root compression.
Before the surgery I was getting the symptom of a deep radiating pain in my LEFT glute which would increase with straight leg raise type activities.

I went through with the surgery to be able to get back to playing at my 100% best. FOllowing the surgery, the glute pain is gone. However I have been left with a huge weakness in my quads, to the point that I cannot walk without crutches due to fear of the left leg collapsing underneath me. On top of that, I am getting pins and needles on the inner part of my shin.

None of these symptoms were present before the surgery. The surgeon thinks a nerve may have been bruised during the operation. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this.

Should I be worried or will it naturally resolve?

• Your Surgeon's diagnosis makes absolute sense. Look at it sorta like this -- Nerves are like telephone cables that provide services to a number of houses. There'ss an outer layer that protects the multiple, thin inner cables (nerve fibers) that go to each house. The inner cables are the wires that carry messages back and forth to the brain which is like a telephone exchange. The messages to the brain are information about "feeling" and from the brain to tell the muscles to contract. When a nerve is bruised, it stops working properly for a short period of time and normally recovers fully, leaving no deficit.

I'm pretty confident that you have nothing to worry about IF it is indeed bruised. Keep an eye on it and keep us posted. I believe time is the answer in your situation....

Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • Doug is right. Even if the nerve wasn't bruised it was moved (touched). Spine nerves after surgery cause pain for awhile. Two days is still to early to know much, rest and take it slow. Take your pain pills and when you follow up with your surgeon things should be improving.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • GlynnerGGlynner Posts: 2
    edited 03/03/2015 - 8:14 AM
    Hey mate,
    I am 6 days after Total disc replacement and Fusion (LS/S1 ALIF L4/5 Arthroplasty) A few hours after surgery I noticed that all my right leg was numb and I could lift my right knee but had no feeling from there down so my heel was just dragging along the bed as i lifted my knee. I was like xxxx When I told the Surgeons they rushed me for a CT Scan right away. I am relived looking back that I was off my face on whatever drugs they were feeding me or I would have freaked alot more. Anyway long story longer the CT scan was good and they informed me that they were looking to see if they had compressed or crushed nerves during surgery as none of these symptoms were present before the surgery. Anyway they were happy that it would pass and two days later it did. It did take time for the power to come back and I still have a slight numbness on my right thigh (inner).
    So my limited advise mate would be a CT scan to check for actual damage before self diagnosing even if we constantly self diagnose! We are on google after all - Best of luck mate, dont panic and give it time!!