Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Delayed Sypmtoms After Fall

o0mfs0ooo0mfs0o Posts: 1
edited 01/24/2015 - 6:09 AM in Lower Back Pain

Is it possible for soreness from an injury to show up weeks after an initial injury during which time you felt no effects?

I work for a major delivery company.

On a rainy day I slipped and fell on a wood deck ramp. This was a 100% fall flat on my bottom. In a split second I knew there was no catching this to help with the impact. My feet went out from under me and it seemed like I was airborne for a moment. At least my center of gravity had gone away from my legs completely and shifted to my bottom. I stopped the motion when I was flat on my back.

I immediately assessed the pain and within seconds got up and walked away. For a few days the spot where I landed felt like a bad bruise. I watched for bruising to appear but nothing aside from a red spot ever developed. I kept active and everythng went away to the point where I forgot about this incident.

During the following month was the Christmas peak season, the busiest time of year. I worked 11 hour days 5-6 days each week for 3 weeks. This fall had no bearing on my activity. I do not remember thinking about the effects of the fall. I was not aware of any lingering effects. A week after Christmas I woke up on a Saturday and my lower back felt like a pulled muscle. I thought about the previous day and recalled moving a package in the back of the truck and feeling a strain. I discounted it as typical of things I go through and that go away on their own all of the time. There was nothing special about it except that I did tie the two together when I was thinking about when I felt anything that could have been the source of this soreness. This soreness was like the way you feel sore muscles a day or two later on after you exercise. After moving the box I was able to continue working that day and did not think about it until the next day.

This pain did not go away like every other strained muscle I had experienced. I went to work on Monday but Tuesday morning I realized this was a consistent injury that was not healing. The pain would lessen as I loosened up and worked but it could get so bad I could not stand up straight and it was uncomfortable sitting or standing in certain positions.

I saw a doctor and it was diagnosed as a strain. I just saw a physical therapist. She asked a lot of questions. She described techniques for movement and explained the logic behind them. My first night lying down after the physical therapy session I used some techniques to carefully move avoiding certain muscles. It was then that I put it all together and realized that the worst pain is where I hit the deck.

This strained muscle has felt like a bruise all along. I never thought of the fall it had been weeks earlier. I had recovered from that and been very active moving, lifting, walking, climbing for long hours without impairment. The doctor had an explanation that fit with a strain although he and the physical therapist asked about falls. I did not even think of the earlier fall until the physical therapist had explained how muscles behave when making movements. Now I think this could even be a slight bone fracture.

I will be talking to the PT and doctor about it but I am just doing some preliminary research.

Thank you

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 01/24/2015 - 6:10 AM
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery