Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doctor Shopping

No Doctor Bashing
I hear and read a lot about Doctor shopping and would like others opinions of
how that is defined.
This past year I have been to two Pain Clinics and two new GP's due to the one
I had seen for 30 years retired.
If you are not getting results even after doing everything they suggest, pain has
increased and your health is going down hill fast are we not allowed to move on.
Just want others ideas it is not intended on being negative at all. I just never want
to be seen in that category but I do feel I have every right to move on even if
it takes several to find someone who can help me improve my life.
Thanks Sherri

• Sherri, in my opinion, dr shopping is the intentional act of receiving two narcotic Rx within a 30 day period from two different doctors without their knowledge of the other...with the database that many states have, I think it would be almost impossible to successfully pull it off without getting nabbed as those days are over

Here in TN, there is always someone in the paper getting locked up in the hoosgah because they rolled the dice

Going to subsequent PM doctors in order to find a compatible one does not fall under that classification...as long as you do not accept narcotic Rx from a second one without terminating your contract with the first one beforehand and not filling the second doctor Rx until your first one's time is up(like 30 days after filling, etc)

I imagine many people are seeing a PM doctor while checking out others if they plan on leaving at some point for whatever reason...just be sure to notify in writing that you are done with them and finish your Rx up before filling someone else's

That's just my take on it
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Doctor shopping

One is a result that when both the patient and doctor are at ends setes opposite. Here is when the doctor says there isn't any more that I can do for you. No hard feelings between each other. You just need a new pair if eyes or someone with a different approach. So then you start looking for a new doctor .

Two. You and your doctor disagree. You say something is wrong and want more pain medications. Your doctor say all test are negative, this is what you can do, but no I will not prescribe any more narcotics. So you leave and seek out another doctor . Many times with the exact results. So you shop and shop until you find one that will give the narcotics.

Case one is normal, case two is not. And it just a matter of time doing that you wind up on a blacklist perhaps for good
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hope3HHope3 Posts: 751
    edited 01/24/2015 - 3:37 PM
    Thanks Scinmyheart
    I had not thought of the official letter that is a good idea.
    I left the first PC due to gallbladder surgery and his last statement was he would refer me to a Back Surgeon
    so I need to close that loop. The second said he recommended "stem cell" as a last resort but knew I
    was not yet interested. So then I had my gallbladder surgery have not closed that loop.
    Now I am seeing a Back Surgeon next week to just get his thoughts on my back.
    I have never taken a prescription from one Doc. and then another one from the next before one ran out.
    In fact I got the next Doc. to say he would now take over my meds.
    They are great suggestions thank you.
    I am 67 and on a mission to do whatever it takes to improve my health and quality of life
    no matter how many Doctor's it takes and hopefully come across some new ideas
    Once again thanks for your input.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,807
    It's your health, your right and often is the right decision . Remember the doctor loses no sleep if you leave or if they don't diagnose you correctly.
    I also think there is another type of doctor shopper, very similar to number two in dilauro post, but they may or may not be on narcotics ( may be requesting more) and they leave the doctor because they can't do any more, or give a diagnosis that you feel isn't matching your issues or says nothing is wrong with you. But the new doctor correctly diagnoses their issue and begins the right treatment which may be the narcotics , surgury or other treatments.. The patient feels it's best decision they made.This happens all the time yet gets ignored I feel.
    It's your life and your body
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • dilauro , what if there not treating ur pain with nothing other then a anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxer, and u have foot drop partial spinal cord injury, with rods plates and screws and fused vertabrea, is wanting a doctor to give you somthiong bewtter that works in this case would that be doctor shopping after being dioscharged frpom one practice 2 in total
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    when a doctor prescribes ( after all the diagnostic tests, clinical examinations, personal interactions ) what the patient needs.

As I have stated in many of my threads/posts, that may differ from what the patients wants

There is so much more to pain management than medications. People tend to rely on pain medication as the only way to manage.

Take a look at The Blend

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
    I think "needs" is a tricky word here , it is up to the doctor's training, knowledge in the symptoms/diagnosis, and really their personal comes into the equation as much as people think it does not. Its there, maybe very small, but some doctors just wont prescribe pain meds due to being burned, not believeing anyone but terminal patient need them or things like addiction risks etc. Lets face it some doctors are not that good at diagnosing and managing symptoms, so you as a patient are depending on someone and in that always lies error at times. You could go to some doctor at huge teaching hospital with much better credentials and they may say you need to be on something better for pain. At that point were you wrong for asking for stronger or differnt meds because what was given was not helping at old dr or was the doctor actually undertreating you??
    I think its about a picture, if you have patient you know has done all the conservative and are then asking for pain meds I think it should be different consideration, but this is not my experience. I choose rehab over pills for my spine injury. Some people need these meds to help get to rehab and there are cases of pain that is magnified by something like central sensitization that may not be diagnosed but is causing much more pain than another with same surgury, diagnosis etc.
    Read an article other day about a woman who was kicked out of PM for going to ER to much for more / stronger pain meds because what PM gave her wasnt helping pain much, she was then referred to another top PM and he diagnosed central sensitization after failed back surgury and the only treatment was a much stronger pain medication, in then next 3 years she has not been back to ER, started working again, and has been able to lower dose , etc. Proper pain managment can save a persons life. I see people thinking pain managment is black and white and that is wrong, when you step outside your box and comfort zone there is alot that is not black and white in regards to pain and treating it. These are not just what i think, their are many non profit medical groups such as institute of medicine with doctors on their board pushing for something better because they realize the gaps.
    But I do adamatly believe in conservative treatments for pain eastern and western, pushing to get better, but by same token when you have exhausted that and its not working other options should be explored.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
    When i asked questions to the really best doctors i have seen over the last 10 years several of them responded in the same manner " the more we learn about the human body, the more we realize we have been wrong on so many things ". We are depending on a group that deals with constantly evolving understanding of the human body , new diseases, new treatments, brains responses to pain, wrong ways of thinking in the past about things etc. Needless to say drs do not have it easy and are constantly learning, buy that same token neither do we as our quality of life is often tied to their understanding of the human body and condition. Anything but black and white
  • You put it just like it is and sum up my feelings about it
    all. There are so many factors that can contribute to pain and each person
    is different. I have done a ton of reading and there are so many
    Doctor's, Scientists etc. that believe pain meds are a excellent tool for
    managing pain.